Oct 4, 2010, 7:18 PM EDT
If you were worried that the NHL and the NHL Officials Association wouldn’t be able to work things out to get the full-time NHL referees and linesmen on the ice this season, fear not. The NHL and the NHLOA have come together on a tentative four-year agreement on a collective bargaining agreement. The release from the NHL states that no comment will be made until the ratification process has been completed.
To dumb things down a bit, the guys that we’re all accustomed to booing night in and night out in the NHL will be back on the ice. Getting a deal worked out with the NHLOA was the last bit of housekeeping the NHL has to get completed before the season begins in earnest on Thursday afternoon in Europe. If both the NHLOA and the NHL Board of Governors fail to get the deal ratified, the NHL would likely have to fall back on replacement referees to staff all of the games. A few weeks ago, the NHL was looking to bring in ECHL officials to work NHL games if they weren’t able to get something worked out with the NHLOA.
As much as we all find time to complain about the referees, I think we’d miss them immediately if subjected to non-polished minor league officials who would likely call games tight and by the book. Think about how NHL games were called fresh out of the lockout when power play opportunities were at an all-time high. I think we all hope the NHL and NHLPA can get a deal worked out this quietly and in time to play games in a couple years like this.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)