Oct 4, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
In a move that reminds me of the Washington Capitals signing their young backup goalie Michal Neuvirth, the Los Angeles Kings signed their former first round pick/backup Jonathan Bernier to a two-year extension today.
Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier has had a good few days.
On Sunday he was told he had won the backup job behind Jonathan Quick this season.
Then on Monday he agreed to a two-year contract extension worth $2.5 million. He will earn $975,000 in the 2011-12 season and $1.525 million in 2012-13. The average annual value for salary cap hit calculation is $1.25 million.
Bernier is starting the final year of his entry-level deal, which will pay him $765,000 and carries a salary cap hit of $843,333.
With this new deal, the Kings have both of their goalies wrapped up until after the 2012-13 season. After Bernier’s entry-level deal expires this season, the two goalies will take up a combined $3 million of the Kings’ salary cap for each of the 2011-12 and 12-13 seasons. Both goalies deals expire in July 2013, so the two Jonathans will have a three-year window to prove their merit as Los Angeles’s netminder tandem thanks to this deal.
Considering the league’s growing trend of spending less money on goalies, the Kings will spend less money on both goalies than most teams will invest in a single goalie. We’ll see if GM Dean Lombardi gets more than he pays for, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)