Oct 4, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
It didn’t take very long for Brendan Morrison to find an NHL job after the center-rich Vancouver Canucks passed on his services. The Globe and Mail reports that the Calgary Flames signed Morrison to a one-year, $750K deal today to help bolster a very lacking (and banged up) center position.
After completing the pre-season with a 7-0 record, the injury-plagued Flames opted to ink the former Vancouver Canucks’ veteran for $700,000 (US) [Ed: The deal is worth $750,000]. Morrison, 35, will fill out a Calgary line-up that has seen six players lost indefinitely to neck, shoulder, knee, leg and eye ailments.
The injured include forwards Daymond Langkow, Matt Stajan, David Moss, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Stone and defenceman Adam Pardy, who was hurt in Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Morrison has played in 829 NHL games and has scored 187 goals and 360 assists. Last season, he appeared in 74 games for the Washington Capitals and had 12 goals and 30 assists.
It’s a pretty solid move for a team that didn’t have much talent (or even really very many bodies) at the center position beyond the flawed Olli Jokinen and the old Craig Conroy.
Morrison won’t be a game-changer, but if he can provide decent play, the Flames will probably be pretty satisfied with the move.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)