Oct 4, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
It didn’t take very long for Brendan Morrison to find an NHL job after the center-rich Vancouver Canucks passed on his services. The Globe and Mail reports that the Calgary Flames signed Morrison to a one-year, $750K deal today to help bolster a very lacking (and banged up) center position.
After completing the pre-season with a 7-0 record, the injury-plagued Flames opted to ink the former Vancouver Canucks’ veteran for $700,000 (US) [Ed: The deal is worth $750,000]. Morrison, 35, will fill out a Calgary line-up that has seen six players lost indefinitely to neck, shoulder, knee, leg and eye ailments.
The injured include forwards Daymond Langkow, Matt Stajan, David Moss, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Stone and defenceman Adam Pardy, who was hurt in Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Morrison has played in 829 NHL games and has scored 187 goals and 360 assists. Last season, he appeared in 74 games for the Washington Capitals and had 12 goals and 30 assists.
It’s a pretty solid move for a team that didn’t have much talent (or even really very many bodies) at the center position beyond the flawed Olli Jokinen and the old Craig Conroy.
Morrison won’t be a game-changer, but if he can provide decent play, the Flames will probably be pretty satisfied with the move.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)