Oct 4, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
It didn’t take very long for Brendan Morrison to find an NHL job after the center-rich Vancouver Canucks passed on his services. The Globe and Mail reports that the Calgary Flames signed Morrison to a one-year, $750K deal today to help bolster a very lacking (and banged up) center position.
After completing the pre-season with a 7-0 record, the injury-plagued Flames opted to ink the former Vancouver Canucks’ veteran for $700,000 (US) [Ed: The deal is worth $750,000]. Morrison, 35, will fill out a Calgary line-up that has seen six players lost indefinitely to neck, shoulder, knee, leg and eye ailments.
The injured include forwards Daymond Langkow, Matt Stajan, David Moss, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Stone and defenceman Adam Pardy, who was hurt in Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Morrison has played in 829 NHL games and has scored 187 goals and 360 assists. Last season, he appeared in 74 games for the Washington Capitals and had 12 goals and 30 assists.
It’s a pretty solid move for a team that didn’t have much talent (or even really very many bodies) at the center position beyond the flawed Olli Jokinen and the old Craig Conroy.
Morrison won’t be a game-changer, but if he can provide decent play, the Flames will probably be pretty satisfied with the move.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles