Oct 4, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
It didn’t take very long for Brendan Morrison to find an NHL job after the center-rich Vancouver Canucks passed on his services. The Globe and Mail reports that the Calgary Flames signed Morrison to a one-year, $750K deal today to help bolster a very lacking (and banged up) center position.
After completing the pre-season with a 7-0 record, the injury-plagued Flames opted to ink the former Vancouver Canucks’ veteran for $700,000 (US) [Ed: The deal is worth $750,000]. Morrison, 35, will fill out a Calgary line-up that has seen six players lost indefinitely to neck, shoulder, knee, leg and eye ailments.
The injured include forwards Daymond Langkow, Matt Stajan, David Moss, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Stone and defenceman Adam Pardy, who was hurt in Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Morrison has played in 829 NHL games and has scored 187 goals and 360 assists. Last season, he appeared in 74 games for the Washington Capitals and had 12 goals and 30 assists.
It’s a pretty solid move for a team that didn’t have much talent (or even really very many bodies) at the center position beyond the flawed Olli Jokinen and the old Craig Conroy.
Morrison won’t be a game-changer, but if he can provide decent play, the Flames will probably be pretty satisfied with the move.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)