Oct 4, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
It didn’t take very long for Brendan Morrison to find an NHL job after the center-rich Vancouver Canucks passed on his services. The Globe and Mail reports that the Calgary Flames signed Morrison to a one-year, $750K deal today to help bolster a very lacking (and banged up) center position.
After completing the pre-season with a 7-0 record, the injury-plagued Flames opted to ink the former Vancouver Canucks’ veteran for $700,000 (US) [Ed: The deal is worth $750,000]. Morrison, 35, will fill out a Calgary line-up that has seen six players lost indefinitely to neck, shoulder, knee, leg and eye ailments.
The injured include forwards Daymond Langkow, Matt Stajan, David Moss, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Stone and defenceman Adam Pardy, who was hurt in Sunday’s 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Morrison has played in 829 NHL games and has scored 187 goals and 360 assists. Last season, he appeared in 74 games for the Washington Capitals and had 12 goals and 30 assists.
It’s a pretty solid move for a team that didn’t have much talent (or even really very many bodies) at the center position beyond the flawed Olli Jokinen and the old Craig Conroy.
Morrison won’t be a game-changer, but if he can provide decent play, the Flames will probably be pretty satisfied with the move.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 3
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 35
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)