Oct 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
The hopes and dreams of many Vancouver Canucks fans may have been dashed today. A report out of Vancouver says that former Canucks star Brendan Morrison will be released from his professional tryout. Ian Walker of Puck World has the story.
Brendan Morrison will not finish his National Hockey League career with the Vancouver Canucks. The 35-year-old native of Pitt Meadows was released from his professional tryout contract by the team on Sunday, according to numerous reports.
Morrison’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, declined comment when reached shortly after the news broke, but judging by the tone, a formal announcement is a mere practicality.
“I’m not going to comment on that today,” said Overhardt. “Call me tomorrow and I’ll have a nice chat with you.”
That certainly doesn’t sound like a happy agent. For Morrison, many Canucks fans were excited about the prospect of bringing back the former top center. Morrison, when teamed with Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund, gave the Canucks one of the top scoring lines in the league years ago. While Bertuzzi has moved on and Naslund has taken his game to Sweden, Morrison has been a bit of a journeyman in the NHL.
By all accounts, Morrison had a good camp and with some teams having issues at the center position in training camp (hello, Calgary), it’s possible that Morrison may not be unemployed very long. Calgary saw enough of Vancouver during the preseason so it’s possible they might’ve seen something they liked from him to want to bring him in. It’d be likely that Morrison would take a less-expensive contract to keep an NHL job.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)