Oct 3, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Here are the rest of the preseason recaps from action last night. If you’re missing the goods from earlier in the day from Europe, don’t worry we got to that already.
Plus: Maybe there’s something to this Nikita Filatov kid after all. Two more goals in the preseason certainly helps make us believe it.
Minus: In the battle of goaltenders named Mason, Chris came up short against Steve, stopping 25 shots.
Plus: Toronto came out all guns blazing against a very AHL-like Wings lineup and did their job. They were even able to give their own AHL-bound goalie Jussi Rynnas a bit of a confidence boost after getting shelled the other night.
Minus: Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader got a chance to show how his boxing lessons in the off-season worked out for him against Luke Schenn. Perhaps going back for a few more lessons might be a good idea.
Plus: Benoit Pouliot and Tomas Plekanec were able to jump start themselves for the regular season by each scoring two goals against the Isles split squad.
Minus: Mike Cammalleri getting kicked out of the game for slashing Nino Niederreiter. Of course, Niederreiter might’ve lit the fuse by hitting Cammalleri questionably the play before that.
Plus: Getting a solid start out of Rick DiPietro has to make the Islanders feel pretty good. Ricky D stopped 25 shots in the win.
Minus: The Devils rolled out what amounts to be their opening night lineup and couldn’t take out the half-Isles. Oops.
Plus: Sens getting hat tricks from both Zack Smith and Chris Kelly ranks out as one of the most unlikely things I thought I’d ever write, yet here we are. Rangers getting two goals from Todd White is nice as he’s in danger of not making the team.
Minus: How about that goaltending? Martin Biron stopped 20 of 26 shots he faced, meanwhile Pascal Leclaire stopped 25 out of 30. Barf-tastic.
Plus: Steven Stamkos appears to be ready for the regular season after a two-goal night. Vinny Lecavalier got on the board with a goal of his own. Florida’s Mike Santorelli continues to impress the Panthers scoring their only goal.
Minus: Panthers goalie Jakob Markstrom has had a rough training camp and he takes the loss again, this time thanks to his defense hanging him out to dry stopping 36 of 40 shots.
St. Louis 4 – Dallas 3 (F/OT)
Plus: Alex Steen had two assists for St. Louis while four different goal scorers got them the win. Jamie Benn had a goal and an assist for Dallas.
Minus: After Kari Lehtonen stopped all 19 shots he saw, Andrew Raycroft stopped just eight of 12 shots in taking the loss.
Plus: Ryan Smyth scored the game-winning goal late in the third period while Anze Kopitar had a goal and an assist. David Jones scored both goals for Colorado.
Minus: The Avalanche taking another loss in the annual preseason battle with the Kings in Las Vegas. The Avs are now 2-10-2 in the series that dates back to 1998.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)