Oct 3, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Mike Comrie isn’t one of the NHL’s highest paid players by any means, but chances are he rubs shoulders with some big spenders in his role as Mr. Hillary Duff. That lifestyle might be catching up to Comrie a bit, though, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he’s being sued regarding missed car payments.
The veteran NHLer is being sued by a finance company after allegedly failing to pay installments for the 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL550 back in 2008.
According to court documents filed at Los Angeles Superior Court, the company’s bailiffs tried to repossess the car but Comrie “refused to allow Plaintiff possession”, reports TMZ.com.
The papers claim they are demanding Comrie pays off the rest of his contract, which comes in at $103,398.
$103,398 isn’t much less than Comrie’s $500K salary with the Pittsburgh Penguins (and that’s before taxes, living expenses and the cost of hair products), so hopefully he saved up a bit from his old contracts.
It’s hard to believe that players struggle with money – even on the lower end of the league’s pay scale – but stories like these show that it’s not that uncommon.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)