Oct 3, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Mike Comrie isn’t one of the NHL’s highest paid players by any means, but chances are he rubs shoulders with some big spenders in his role as Mr. Hillary Duff. That lifestyle might be catching up to Comrie a bit, though, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he’s being sued regarding missed car payments.
The veteran NHLer is being sued by a finance company after allegedly failing to pay installments for the 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL550 back in 2008.
According to court documents filed at Los Angeles Superior Court, the company’s bailiffs tried to repossess the car but Comrie “refused to allow Plaintiff possession”, reports TMZ.com.
The papers claim they are demanding Comrie pays off the rest of his contract, which comes in at $103,398.
$103,398 isn’t much less than Comrie’s $500K salary with the Pittsburgh Penguins (and that’s before taxes, living expenses and the cost of hair products), so hopefully he saved up a bit from his old contracts.
It’s hard to believe that players struggle with money – even on the lower end of the league’s pay scale – but stories like these show that it’s not that uncommon.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)