Oct 3, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
At one point in his career, Michael Grabner was seen as the next big thing as far as prospects go. Coming up in the Canucks organization where fans can get a bit too eager about things can often exacerbate the situation, but Grabner was always viewed as a future big gun.
This summer, he was sent to Florida in the Keith Ballard trade and a future with the Panthers seemed assure. After all he would get more ice time to flourish and become the scorer many figured he would be. That is until he didn’t make the Florida Panthers roster and was waived today. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel has the story.
Grabner, 22, who came over from Vancouver with forward Steve Bernier for defenseman Keith Ballard, with the expectations of bolstering the offense, was unable to dent the net. Grabner possesses, “world-class,” speed according to coach Pete DeBoer, but didn’t show him the ability to finish players.
Grabner is still very young, but (and no disrespect to the Panthers) if you’re not cracking the Panthers lineup out of training camp, the future doesn’t exactly look that great. With Grabner on waivers, the question now becomes whether or not another team snags him to take a shot at breaking him out . If no one does, Grabner will move on to Rochester in the AHL to join the Panthers farm team there. To call this an expected turn of events would make you a liar.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)