Oct 3, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
At one point in his career, Michael Grabner was seen as the next big thing as far as prospects go. Coming up in the Canucks organization where fans can get a bit too eager about things can often exacerbate the situation, but Grabner was always viewed as a future big gun.
This summer, he was sent to Florida in the Keith Ballard trade and a future with the Panthers seemed assure. After all he would get more ice time to flourish and become the scorer many figured he would be. That is until he didn’t make the Florida Panthers roster and was waived today. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel has the story.
Grabner, 22, who came over from Vancouver with forward Steve Bernier for defenseman Keith Ballard, with the expectations of bolstering the offense, was unable to dent the net. Grabner possesses, “world-class,” speed according to coach Pete DeBoer, but didn’t show him the ability to finish players.
Grabner is still very young, but (and no disrespect to the Panthers) if you’re not cracking the Panthers lineup out of training camp, the future doesn’t exactly look that great. With Grabner on waivers, the question now becomes whether or not another team snags him to take a shot at breaking him out . If no one does, Grabner will move on to Rochester in the AHL to join the Panthers farm team there. To call this an expected turn of events would make you a liar.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)