Oct 3, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
At one point in his career, Michael Grabner was seen as the next big thing as far as prospects go. Coming up in the Canucks organization where fans can get a bit too eager about things can often exacerbate the situation, but Grabner was always viewed as a future big gun.
This summer, he was sent to Florida in the Keith Ballard trade and a future with the Panthers seemed assure. After all he would get more ice time to flourish and become the scorer many figured he would be. That is until he didn’t make the Florida Panthers roster and was waived today. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel has the story.
Grabner, 22, who came over from Vancouver with forward Steve Bernier for defenseman Keith Ballard, with the expectations of bolstering the offense, was unable to dent the net. Grabner possesses, “world-class,” speed according to coach Pete DeBoer, but didn’t show him the ability to finish players.
Grabner is still very young, but (and no disrespect to the Panthers) if you’re not cracking the Panthers lineup out of training camp, the future doesn’t exactly look that great. With Grabner on waivers, the question now becomes whether or not another team snags him to take a shot at breaking him out . If no one does, Grabner will move on to Rochester in the AHL to join the Panthers farm team there. To call this an expected turn of events would make you a liar.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)