Oct 3, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
At one point in his career, Michael Grabner was seen as the next big thing as far as prospects go. Coming up in the Canucks organization where fans can get a bit too eager about things can often exacerbate the situation, but Grabner was always viewed as a future big gun.
This summer, he was sent to Florida in the Keith Ballard trade and a future with the Panthers seemed assure. After all he would get more ice time to flourish and become the scorer many figured he would be. That is until he didn’t make the Florida Panthers roster and was waived today. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel has the story.
Grabner, 22, who came over from Vancouver with forward Steve Bernier for defenseman Keith Ballard, with the expectations of bolstering the offense, was unable to dent the net. Grabner possesses, “world-class,” speed according to coach Pete DeBoer, but didn’t show him the ability to finish players.
Grabner is still very young, but (and no disrespect to the Panthers) if you’re not cracking the Panthers lineup out of training camp, the future doesn’t exactly look that great. With Grabner on waivers, the question now becomes whether or not another team snags him to take a shot at breaking him out . If no one does, Grabner will move on to Rochester in the AHL to join the Panthers farm team there. To call this an expected turn of events would make you a liar.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)