Oct 3, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
At one point in his career, Michael Grabner was seen as the next big thing as far as prospects go. Coming up in the Canucks organization where fans can get a bit too eager about things can often exacerbate the situation, but Grabner was always viewed as a future big gun.
This summer, he was sent to Florida in the Keith Ballard trade and a future with the Panthers seemed assure. After all he would get more ice time to flourish and become the scorer many figured he would be. That is until he didn’t make the Florida Panthers roster and was waived today. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel has the story.
Grabner, 22, who came over from Vancouver with forward Steve Bernier for defenseman Keith Ballard, with the expectations of bolstering the offense, was unable to dent the net. Grabner possesses, “world-class,” speed according to coach Pete DeBoer, but didn’t show him the ability to finish players.
Grabner is still very young, but (and no disrespect to the Panthers) if you’re not cracking the Panthers lineup out of training camp, the future doesn’t exactly look that great. With Grabner on waivers, the question now becomes whether or not another team snags him to take a shot at breaking him out . If no one does, Grabner will move on to Rochester in the AHL to join the Panthers farm team there. To call this an expected turn of events would make you a liar.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)