Oct 3, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Today presents the last “full” day of preseason games and a couple of those contests started a little earlier than usual. Here are two quick recaps of the first matches.
Plus: Pekka Rinne earned a 22-save shutout. Joel Ward scored two goals while Cal O’Reilly put together one goal and one assist for the Nashville Predators. Michal Neuvirth made 13 out of 13 saves in about 30 minutes of game time.
Minus: The Mighty Capitals were blanked. Dany Sabourin allowed three goals on 15 shots in only 30 minutes. The Washington Capitals fell short of their first perfect preseason ever with that loss.
Plus: Evgeni Malkin scored one goal and added three assists while Mike Comrie scored twice and Zbynek Michalek had two assists for the Penguins. Chris Kunitz and Alex Goligoski also had one goal one one assist in this one. Pavel Datsyuk got in on both of the Red Wings goals, scoring one goal and producing an assist.
Minus: Craig Adams went 4-10 in the faceoff circle. Comrie cannot pay off his debts with exhibition goals.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)