Oct 2, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
We’re going to have ourselves some controversy even before the season gets underway. Tonight in Quebec City, Montreal’s Mike Cammalleri lost his head a little bit trying to goad Islanders rookie Nino Niederreiter into a fight after taking exception to a play earlier in the game.
What happened saw Cammalleri high-sticking, cross checking, and then ultimately slashing Niederreiter in the ankle, dropping the rookie to the ice. Cammalleri was given a five-minute major for slashing and a game misconduct. You can see video of the chain of events here at YouTube.
After seeing the video, the most egregious thing Cammalleri does here is use “Dr. Hook” McCracken of “Slap Shot” fame’s technique for instigating a fight by poking at Niederreiter in the face with his stick. Slashing him in the ankle is about as low as it gets. Perhaps Cammalleri should leave the fighting to guys that actually fight instead.
The NHL will be looking into the incident according to CJ Stevenson of Sun Media, meanwhile Niederreiter is out of the game with a bruised ankle. The Islanders don’t expect the injury to be at all serious. Whether or not the league decides to punish the action over the result will be interesting to see.
(Photo: Jim McIsaac – Getty Images)
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)