Oct 2, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
We’re going to have ourselves some controversy even before the season gets underway. Tonight in Quebec City, Montreal’s Mike Cammalleri lost his head a little bit trying to goad Islanders rookie Nino Niederreiter into a fight after taking exception to a play earlier in the game.
What happened saw Cammalleri high-sticking, cross checking, and then ultimately slashing Niederreiter in the ankle, dropping the rookie to the ice. Cammalleri was given a five-minute major for slashing and a game misconduct. You can see video of the chain of events here at YouTube.
After seeing the video, the most egregious thing Cammalleri does here is use “Dr. Hook” McCracken of “Slap Shot” fame’s technique for instigating a fight by poking at Niederreiter in the face with his stick. Slashing him in the ankle is about as low as it gets. Perhaps Cammalleri should leave the fighting to guys that actually fight instead.
The NHL will be looking into the incident according to CJ Stevenson of Sun Media, meanwhile Niederreiter is out of the game with a bruised ankle. The Islanders don’t expect the injury to be at all serious. Whether or not the league decides to punish the action over the result will be interesting to see.
(Photo: Jim McIsaac – Getty Images)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)