Oct 2, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
We’re going to have ourselves some controversy even before the season gets underway. Tonight in Quebec City, Montreal’s Mike Cammalleri lost his head a little bit trying to goad Islanders rookie Nino Niederreiter into a fight after taking exception to a play earlier in the game.
What happened saw Cammalleri high-sticking, cross checking, and then ultimately slashing Niederreiter in the ankle, dropping the rookie to the ice. Cammalleri was given a five-minute major for slashing and a game misconduct. You can see video of the chain of events here at YouTube.
After seeing the video, the most egregious thing Cammalleri does here is use “Dr. Hook” McCracken of “Slap Shot” fame’s technique for instigating a fight by poking at Niederreiter in the face with his stick. Slashing him in the ankle is about as low as it gets. Perhaps Cammalleri should leave the fighting to guys that actually fight instead.
The NHL will be looking into the incident according to CJ Stevenson of Sun Media, meanwhile Niederreiter is out of the game with a bruised ankle. The Islanders don’t expect the injury to be at all serious. Whether or not the league decides to punish the action over the result will be interesting to see.
(Photo: Jim McIsaac – Getty Images)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)