Oct 1, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Put your fat jokes aside (or save them for someone else, like Martin Brodeur maybe) because it sounds like it will be a while before Kyle Wellwood plays in the NHL again. The Associated Press reports that the Phoenix Coyotes released him after the pudgy play maker failed to impress them sufficiently during a pro tryout.
Wellwood appeared in five pre-season games with Phoenix and recorded two points (one goal, one assist).
He played the past five seasons as a full-time NHLer with Toronto and Vancouver, where he racked up 52 points, including 32 goals, over the past two seasons. But Wellwood was hoping to find a team who was willing to play him as a centre on a scoring line – something he knew wouldn’t happen in Vancouver.
Wellwood, who is listed at five-foot-10, has said there are options available to him in Europe if he isn’t able to stick with Phoenix.
Going to Europe might seem like an admission of defeat to some, but it seems like a reasonable Plan B for a player like Wellwood. It’s possible a team would find him to be a worthwhile fourth-liner, but Wellwood might prefer being a bigger fish in a smaller pond overseas.
It seems cruel to make fat jokes right now, so wait for him to land with a KHL/Elite League team before you make jokes about him drowning his sorrows in gravy or any other reference to emotional eating.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)