Oct 1, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Bad news this morning for the New Jersey Devils. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello updated the injury status of defenseman Bryce Salvador and he’ll be out indefinitely with a concussion. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti also reports that no decision has been made as to whether or not Salvador will be placed on the long term injured reserve.
Long term injured reserve requires a player to either miss ten games or 24 calendar days. With the kind of care teams are taking to resolve concussion, it’s certainly possible Salvador could be out that long.
While the player’s salary stays on the cap, a team is allowed to go over
the cap by the amount the player makes. In this case, the Devils would
be allowed $2.9 million of salary freedom. With the Devils being over the salary cap, you could say that this injury is very well timed for the team, financially-speaking. Of course, not having Salvador on the ice is a problem for the Devils but considering he was an apparent candidate to be moved to get the team under the salary cap, either this injury is very well timed for salary reasons or very poorly timed because they may have been shopping him around.
Either way, it’ll be interesting to see what the Devils do now to make adjustments to the lineup and to their books to make everything work before the season begins. The Devils are already a bit shorthanded defensively with Anssi Salmela out for some time after off-season knee surgery. Expect the Devils to tap into their farm system reserves to fill out the defense in the meantime.
(Photo: Chris McGrath – Getty Images)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)