Sep 30, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
A wide variety of sources (including NHL.com) claim that the Edmonton Oilers placed Sheldon Souray and Martin Gerber on waivers today.
Waiving Souray was more or less a formality after the team didn’t even invite him to training camp. With his $5.4 million annual salary cap hit and history of injury problems, it’s unlikely any NHL team will take on Souray unless his pay check is cut in half by going through re-entry waivers or the Oilers take on salary in return via a trade.
Gerber being waived is slightly more surprising, although he seemed like nothing more than an insurance plan for the Oilers. His contract is for the NHL minimum of $500K while his AHL salary would be $200K.
While it’s not 100 percent confirmed, chances are this is a very reliable report. It was just a matter of time before Souray would be waived while Gerber seemed like the odd man out from the beginning. We’ll keep you updated if anything changes (or someone claims one of the two), but until then, consider those two players waived.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)