Sep 30, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
A wide variety of sources (including NHL.com) claim that the Edmonton Oilers placed Sheldon Souray and Martin Gerber on waivers today.
Waiving Souray was more or less a formality after the team didn’t even invite him to training camp. With his $5.4 million annual salary cap hit and history of injury problems, it’s unlikely any NHL team will take on Souray unless his pay check is cut in half by going through re-entry waivers or the Oilers take on salary in return via a trade.
Gerber being waived is slightly more surprising, although he seemed like nothing more than an insurance plan for the Oilers. His contract is for the NHL minimum of $500K while his AHL salary would be $200K.
While it’s not 100 percent confirmed, chances are this is a very reliable report. It was just a matter of time before Souray would be waived while Gerber seemed like the odd man out from the beginning. We’ll keep you updated if anything changes (or someone claims one of the two), but until then, consider those two players waived.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 2
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 7
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)