Sep 30, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
A wide variety of sources (including NHL.com) claim that the Edmonton Oilers placed Sheldon Souray and Martin Gerber on waivers today.
Waiving Souray was more or less a formality after the team didn’t even invite him to training camp. With his $5.4 million annual salary cap hit and history of injury problems, it’s unlikely any NHL team will take on Souray unless his pay check is cut in half by going through re-entry waivers or the Oilers take on salary in return via a trade.
Gerber being waived is slightly more surprising, although he seemed like nothing more than an insurance plan for the Oilers. His contract is for the NHL minimum of $500K while his AHL salary would be $200K.
While it’s not 100 percent confirmed, chances are this is a very reliable report. It was just a matter of time before Souray would be waived while Gerber seemed like the odd man out from the beginning. We’ll keep you updated if anything changes (or someone claims one of the two), but until then, consider those two players waived.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)