Sep 30, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
When it comes to the injury Jordan Staal suffered in last year’s playoffs, it’s been a slow trickle of bad news for the two-way center and the Pittsburgh Penguins. He probably came back a little too soon after P.K. Subban’s skate cut a tendon in one of his feet, getting surgery and hastily returning during that seven game series against the Montreal Canadiens.
He’s reportedly had five procedures on that foot thanks to complications including infection and hasn’t resumed skating just yet, according to TSN. Speculation is building that he might be out “well into” the 2010-11 season.
Penguins forward Jordan Staal is wearing a protective boot on his injured right foot and is not yet close to being able to skate or practice.
The Penguins’ initial estimate that one of the NHL’s best two-way forwards would return by late October might be overly optimistic, and it could be well into the season before Staal returns.
Losing Staal for a considerable amount would be a big blow for the Penguins. He’s such a consistent penalty killer for the team that he earned a Selke Trophy nomination for his work last season. It also brings up the question of whether or not the team will move Evgeni Malkin to the wing after all.
Obviously “well into” isn’t a very specific amount of time, so we’ll pass along word once there are more details. It might be quite a while until Staal will be 100 percent again, though.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 2
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 2
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)