Sep 30, 2010, 9:05 PM EST
While we haven’t exactly gone gangbusters here to discuss it, there’s a movement going on in Anaheim in the form of a definitive youth movement on the blue line. Today the Ducks waived defensemen Brett Festerling and Danny Syvret, leaving outsiders wondering if, perhaps, 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler as well as perpetual prospect Luca Sbisa could both start the year with Anaheim.
The Ducks are starting the year without Toni Lydman who’s battling double-vision issues which is keeping him off the ice completely. While that opens up one spot on the blue line, the recent addition of Paul Mara figured to help fill the needs of the team so they didn’t have to dig too deep into their system to replace Lydman.
Festerling was a guy that a lot of observers figured would have a spot on the team, battling it out with the likes of Brendan Mikkelsen, Fowler, and Sbisa. Many figured Fowler would head back to his junior team in Windsor, but now it looks like he’ll be making the Ducks starting roster. Fowler slipped in this year’s draft after being projected to be a top five pick. Anaheim snagged him at 13th overall instead leading many to believe they got a steal. If he turns into a first-year NHL starter and does well, it’s already the steal of the draft. Whether the move pays off for a defensively questionable Ducks team will be fascinating to see.
(Photo: Jeff Gross – Getty Images)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)