Sep 30, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT
While we haven’t exactly gone gangbusters here to discuss it, there’s a movement going on in Anaheim in the form of a definitive youth movement on the blue line. Today the Ducks waived defensemen Brett Festerling and Danny Syvret, leaving outsiders wondering if, perhaps, 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler as well as perpetual prospect Luca Sbisa could both start the year with Anaheim.
The Ducks are starting the year without Toni Lydman who’s battling double-vision issues which is keeping him off the ice completely. While that opens up one spot on the blue line, the recent addition of Paul Mara figured to help fill the needs of the team so they didn’t have to dig too deep into their system to replace Lydman.
Festerling was a guy that a lot of observers figured would have a spot on the team, battling it out with the likes of Brendan Mikkelsen, Fowler, and Sbisa. Many figured Fowler would head back to his junior team in Windsor, but now it looks like he’ll be making the Ducks starting roster. Fowler slipped in this year’s draft after being projected to be a top five pick. Anaheim snagged him at 13th overall instead leading many to believe they got a steal. If he turns into a first-year NHL starter and does well, it’s already the steal of the draft. Whether the move pays off for a defensively questionable Ducks team will be fascinating to see.
(Photo: Jeff Gross – Getty Images)
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)