Sep 30, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT
While we haven’t exactly gone gangbusters here to discuss it, there’s a movement going on in Anaheim in the form of a definitive youth movement on the blue line. Today the Ducks waived defensemen Brett Festerling and Danny Syvret, leaving outsiders wondering if, perhaps, 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler as well as perpetual prospect Luca Sbisa could both start the year with Anaheim.
The Ducks are starting the year without Toni Lydman who’s battling double-vision issues which is keeping him off the ice completely. While that opens up one spot on the blue line, the recent addition of Paul Mara figured to help fill the needs of the team so they didn’t have to dig too deep into their system to replace Lydman.
Festerling was a guy that a lot of observers figured would have a spot on the team, battling it out with the likes of Brendan Mikkelsen, Fowler, and Sbisa. Many figured Fowler would head back to his junior team in Windsor, but now it looks like he’ll be making the Ducks starting roster. Fowler slipped in this year’s draft after being projected to be a top five pick. Anaheim snagged him at 13th overall instead leading many to believe they got a steal. If he turns into a first-year NHL starter and does well, it’s already the steal of the draft. Whether the move pays off for a defensively questionable Ducks team will be fascinating to see.
(Photo: Jeff Gross – Getty Images)
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38