Sep 30, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT
While we haven’t exactly gone gangbusters here to discuss it, there’s a movement going on in Anaheim in the form of a definitive youth movement on the blue line. Today the Ducks waived defensemen Brett Festerling and Danny Syvret, leaving outsiders wondering if, perhaps, 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler as well as perpetual prospect Luca Sbisa could both start the year with Anaheim.
The Ducks are starting the year without Toni Lydman who’s battling double-vision issues which is keeping him off the ice completely. While that opens up one spot on the blue line, the recent addition of Paul Mara figured to help fill the needs of the team so they didn’t have to dig too deep into their system to replace Lydman.
Festerling was a guy that a lot of observers figured would have a spot on the team, battling it out with the likes of Brendan Mikkelsen, Fowler, and Sbisa. Many figured Fowler would head back to his junior team in Windsor, but now it looks like he’ll be making the Ducks starting roster. Fowler slipped in this year’s draft after being projected to be a top five pick. Anaheim snagged him at 13th overall instead leading many to believe they got a steal. If he turns into a first-year NHL starter and does well, it’s already the steal of the draft. Whether the move pays off for a defensively questionable Ducks team will be fascinating to see.
(Photo: Jeff Gross – Getty Images)
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39