Sep 30, 2010, 11:27 PM EDT
While other jobs are still being figured out as training camp plugs along, a couple of them have been decided already in goal. The Dallas Stars race for backup goalie will go to Andrew Raycroft as the team put Brent Krahn on waivers. It was an outside shot for Krahn to make the team and he’s come up just short of winning the backup job.
For Raycroft, he signed in the off-season after playing the backup to Roberto Luongo last year. Expect him to see a little bit more action in Dallas as Kari Lehtonen’s backup. With Lehtonen’s frightful injury history, Raycroft might get into a few more games than even he expects.
In Nashville, the Predators settled their battle to be Pekka Rinne’s second in command in goal. While Mark Dekanich put in a tough effort, Swedish import Anders Lindback has won the backup job as Dekanich was sent down to AHL Milwaukee today.
Lindback was Nashville’s seventh round pick in the 2008 draft and he’s a tall drink of water, standing in at 6’6″ tall. With Pekka Rinne standing at 6’5″ this gives the Predators nearly 13 feet of goaltending. There’s nothing useful about that, it’s just pretty damn remarkable. This season will mark Lindback’s first in the NHL. Lindback played for Timra IK in the Swedish Elite League.
(Raycroft photo: Doug Pensinger – Getty Images)
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)