Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
While it’s natural to yawn (or even roll your eyes) at the mostly trivial proceedings that take place during preseason games, there is still some human drama that plays out. That drama is mainly focused on the handful of athletes who are fighting to preserve or begin their professional careers.
Brendan Morrison is fighting to keep his NHL career alive and tonight’s game against the San Jose Sharks (which begins at 10:30 pm ET) might just decide if he plays for a Stanley Cup contender or will end up back on the streets among the other unemployed hockey players. Ben Kuzma of the White Towel writes that the playmaking center should be a little selfish when it comes to proving his merit tonight.
Brendan Morrison should be selfish tonight in San Jose.
With time ticking away on his professional tryout, the former Vancouver Canucks centre finds himself between Jeff Tambellini and Guillaume Desbiens against the Sharks in a preseason rematch.
With Tambellini impressing on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena, you get the impression Morrison might have to do something special at the HP Pavilion to inch closer to a contract offer.
An excellent passer, don’t be surprised if Morrison shoots first and thinks later.
Morrison is no stranger to earning a role with a contender, by whatever slim margin. Last year he rode shotgun with the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals, although the center-poor team showed just how they felt about him by letting him walk.
While most of the focus is on young players trying to make the big club, don’t forget about the Brendan Morrisons and Bill Guerins of the world as they fight to maintain their place in the NHL.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)