Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
While it’s natural to yawn (or even roll your eyes) at the mostly trivial proceedings that take place during preseason games, there is still some human drama that plays out. That drama is mainly focused on the handful of athletes who are fighting to preserve or begin their professional careers.
Brendan Morrison is fighting to keep his NHL career alive and tonight’s game against the San Jose Sharks (which begins at 10:30 pm ET) might just decide if he plays for a Stanley Cup contender or will end up back on the streets among the other unemployed hockey players. Ben Kuzma of the White Towel writes that the playmaking center should be a little selfish when it comes to proving his merit tonight.
Brendan Morrison should be selfish tonight in San Jose.
With time ticking away on his professional tryout, the former Vancouver Canucks centre finds himself between Jeff Tambellini and Guillaume Desbiens against the Sharks in a preseason rematch.
With Tambellini impressing on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena, you get the impression Morrison might have to do something special at the HP Pavilion to inch closer to a contract offer.
An excellent passer, don’t be surprised if Morrison shoots first and thinks later.
Morrison is no stranger to earning a role with a contender, by whatever slim margin. Last year he rode shotgun with the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals, although the center-poor team showed just how they felt about him by letting him walk.
While most of the focus is on young players trying to make the big club, don’t forget about the Brendan Morrisons and Bill Guerins of the world as they fight to maintain their place in the NHL.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)