Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
While it’s natural to yawn (or even roll your eyes) at the mostly trivial proceedings that take place during preseason games, there is still some human drama that plays out. That drama is mainly focused on the handful of athletes who are fighting to preserve or begin their professional careers.
Brendan Morrison is fighting to keep his NHL career alive and tonight’s game against the San Jose Sharks (which begins at 10:30 pm ET) might just decide if he plays for a Stanley Cup contender or will end up back on the streets among the other unemployed hockey players. Ben Kuzma of the White Towel writes that the playmaking center should be a little selfish when it comes to proving his merit tonight.
Brendan Morrison should be selfish tonight in San Jose.
With time ticking away on his professional tryout, the former Vancouver Canucks centre finds himself between Jeff Tambellini and Guillaume Desbiens against the Sharks in a preseason rematch.
With Tambellini impressing on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena, you get the impression Morrison might have to do something special at the HP Pavilion to inch closer to a contract offer.
An excellent passer, don’t be surprised if Morrison shoots first and thinks later.
Morrison is no stranger to earning a role with a contender, by whatever slim margin. Last year he rode shotgun with the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals, although the center-poor team showed just how they felt about him by letting him walk.
While most of the focus is on young players trying to make the big club, don’t forget about the Brendan Morrisons and Bill Guerins of the world as they fight to maintain their place in the NHL.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)