Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
While it’s natural to yawn (or even roll your eyes) at the mostly trivial proceedings that take place during preseason games, there is still some human drama that plays out. That drama is mainly focused on the handful of athletes who are fighting to preserve or begin their professional careers.
Brendan Morrison is fighting to keep his NHL career alive and tonight’s game against the San Jose Sharks (which begins at 10:30 pm ET) might just decide if he plays for a Stanley Cup contender or will end up back on the streets among the other unemployed hockey players. Ben Kuzma of the White Towel writes that the playmaking center should be a little selfish when it comes to proving his merit tonight.
Brendan Morrison should be selfish tonight in San Jose.
With time ticking away on his professional tryout, the former Vancouver Canucks centre finds himself between Jeff Tambellini and Guillaume Desbiens against the Sharks in a preseason rematch.
With Tambellini impressing on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena, you get the impression Morrison might have to do something special at the HP Pavilion to inch closer to a contract offer.
An excellent passer, don’t be surprised if Morrison shoots first and thinks later.
Morrison is no stranger to earning a role with a contender, by whatever slim margin. Last year he rode shotgun with the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals, although the center-poor team showed just how they felt about him by letting him walk.
While most of the focus is on young players trying to make the big club, don’t forget about the Brendan Morrisons and Bill Guerins of the world as they fight to maintain their place in the NHL.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)