Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
While it’s natural to yawn (or even roll your eyes) at the mostly trivial proceedings that take place during preseason games, there is still some human drama that plays out. That drama is mainly focused on the handful of athletes who are fighting to preserve or begin their professional careers.
Brendan Morrison is fighting to keep his NHL career alive and tonight’s game against the San Jose Sharks (which begins at 10:30 pm ET) might just decide if he plays for a Stanley Cup contender or will end up back on the streets among the other unemployed hockey players. Ben Kuzma of the White Towel writes that the playmaking center should be a little selfish when it comes to proving his merit tonight.
Brendan Morrison should be selfish tonight in San Jose.
With time ticking away on his professional tryout, the former Vancouver Canucks centre finds himself between Jeff Tambellini and Guillaume Desbiens against the Sharks in a preseason rematch.
With Tambellini impressing on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena, you get the impression Morrison might have to do something special at the HP Pavilion to inch closer to a contract offer.
An excellent passer, don’t be surprised if Morrison shoots first and thinks later.
Morrison is no stranger to earning a role with a contender, by whatever slim margin. Last year he rode shotgun with the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals, although the center-poor team showed just how they felt about him by letting him walk.
While most of the focus is on young players trying to make the big club, don’t forget about the Brendan Morrisons and Bill Guerins of the world as they fight to maintain their place in the NHL.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)