Sep 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
In a moment in which the jokes practically write themselves, the Florida Panthers canceled their exhibition game against the Carolina Hurricanes because of a tropical storm.
It was not named Hurricane Staal.
Here is the statement via a press release from the NHL.
The National Hockey League announced today that the pre-season game between the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 29 at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. has been canceled due to the threat of severe weather conditions associated with Tropical Storm Nicole.
“We felt that it was in the best interest and safety of our fans, our players and the Carolina Hurricanes to cancel Wednesday’s game due to the threat of the impending tropical storm,” said Panthers Executive Vice President/General Manager Dale Tallon.
The game will not be re-scheduled.
Why won’t it be re-scheduled? Because it’s a freaking preseason game and not many people beyond Jeff Skinner care about those. Besides, if you look at the way New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers players are dropping like flies, maybe no exhibition game is better than any exhibition game.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)