Sep 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
In a moment in which the jokes practically write themselves, the Florida Panthers canceled their exhibition game against the Carolina Hurricanes because of a tropical storm.
It was not named Hurricane Staal.
Here is the statement via a press release from the NHL.
The National Hockey League announced today that the pre-season game between the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 29 at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. has been canceled due to the threat of severe weather conditions associated with Tropical Storm Nicole.
“We felt that it was in the best interest and safety of our fans, our players and the Carolina Hurricanes to cancel Wednesday’s game due to the threat of the impending tropical storm,” said Panthers Executive Vice President/General Manager Dale Tallon.
The game will not be re-scheduled.
Why won’t it be re-scheduled? Because it’s a freaking preseason game and not many people beyond Jeff Skinner care about those. Besides, if you look at the way New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers players are dropping like flies, maybe no exhibition game is better than any exhibition game.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)