Sep 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
In a moment in which the jokes practically write themselves, the Florida Panthers canceled their exhibition game against the Carolina Hurricanes because of a tropical storm.
It was not named Hurricane Staal.
Here is the statement via a press release from the NHL.
The National Hockey League announced today that the pre-season game between the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 29 at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. has been canceled due to the threat of severe weather conditions associated with Tropical Storm Nicole.
“We felt that it was in the best interest and safety of our fans, our players and the Carolina Hurricanes to cancel Wednesday’s game due to the threat of the impending tropical storm,” said Panthers Executive Vice President/General Manager Dale Tallon.
The game will not be re-scheduled.
Why won’t it be re-scheduled? Because it’s a freaking preseason game and not many people beyond Jeff Skinner care about those. Besides, if you look at the way New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers players are dropping like flies, maybe no exhibition game is better than any exhibition game.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)