Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 AM EDT
Here is a rundown of another light night of preseason games.
Plus: Both teams had at least one player who scored two goals. Phil Kessel and Nikolai Kulemin did it for the Maple Leafs while Nathan Gerbe did it for the Sabres. Each team scored a power-play goal, even though there were only five power plays overall.
Minus: Each team’s defense allowed way too many shots, with Buffalo firing 39 shots on goal while Toronto was right behind them with 38. Let’s hope that both clubs tighten things up, because neither club looks like it will score a ton of goals. (Looks can be deceiving, though.)
Plus: I guess coach Jacques Martin got a measure of revenge against his former team? Tomas Plekanec continued his hot preseason play with two goals, including one on the penalty kill. Michael Cammalleri produced one goal and two assists while newcomer Lars “Not from Metallica” Eller managed to put up three assists. David Booth was involved in both Florida goals, gaining a goal and an assist.
Oh, and Carey Price wasn’t horrible, allowing only two goals in this one.
Minus: Florida was 0-5 at even strength and also allowed a shorthanded goal on the power play. That’s not very good, Panthers.
Plus: The Predators’ two best players were strong in this one. Shea Weber factored into both goals with one goal and one assist while goalie Pekka Rinne only allowed one goal on 22 shots. The Predators defense was great for allowing only 22 pucks on Rinne.
Minus: If you judge it by the box score alone, this was an incredibly boring game. The Thrashers were held under 10 shots in two periods, putting only six shots on net in the first and third period (with 10 in the second).
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (80)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)