Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 AM EDT
Here is a rundown of another light night of preseason games.
Plus: Both teams had at least one player who scored two goals. Phil Kessel and Nikolai Kulemin did it for the Maple Leafs while Nathan Gerbe did it for the Sabres. Each team scored a power-play goal, even though there were only five power plays overall.
Minus: Each team’s defense allowed way too many shots, with Buffalo firing 39 shots on goal while Toronto was right behind them with 38. Let’s hope that both clubs tighten things up, because neither club looks like it will score a ton of goals. (Looks can be deceiving, though.)
Plus: I guess coach Jacques Martin got a measure of revenge against his former team? Tomas Plekanec continued his hot preseason play with two goals, including one on the penalty kill. Michael Cammalleri produced one goal and two assists while newcomer Lars “Not from Metallica” Eller managed to put up three assists. David Booth was involved in both Florida goals, gaining a goal and an assist.
Oh, and Carey Price wasn’t horrible, allowing only two goals in this one.
Minus: Florida was 0-5 at even strength and also allowed a shorthanded goal on the power play. That’s not very good, Panthers.
Plus: The Predators’ two best players were strong in this one. Shea Weber factored into both goals with one goal and one assist while goalie Pekka Rinne only allowed one goal on 22 shots. The Predators defense was great for allowing only 22 pucks on Rinne.
Minus: If you judge it by the box score alone, this was an incredibly boring game. The Thrashers were held under 10 shots in two periods, putting only six shots on net in the first and third period (with 10 in the second).
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 0
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 36
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Sharks beat Kings, trim LA's series lead
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0