Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 AM EDT
Here is a rundown of another light night of preseason games.
Plus: Both teams had at least one player who scored two goals. Phil Kessel and Nikolai Kulemin did it for the Maple Leafs while Nathan Gerbe did it for the Sabres. Each team scored a power-play goal, even though there were only five power plays overall.
Minus: Each team’s defense allowed way too many shots, with Buffalo firing 39 shots on goal while Toronto was right behind them with 38. Let’s hope that both clubs tighten things up, because neither club looks like it will score a ton of goals. (Looks can be deceiving, though.)
Plus: I guess coach Jacques Martin got a measure of revenge against his former team? Tomas Plekanec continued his hot preseason play with two goals, including one on the penalty kill. Michael Cammalleri produced one goal and two assists while newcomer Lars “Not from Metallica” Eller managed to put up three assists. David Booth was involved in both Florida goals, gaining a goal and an assist.
Oh, and Carey Price wasn’t horrible, allowing only two goals in this one.
Minus: Florida was 0-5 at even strength and also allowed a shorthanded goal on the power play. That’s not very good, Panthers.
Plus: The Predators’ two best players were strong in this one. Shea Weber factored into both goals with one goal and one assist while goalie Pekka Rinne only allowed one goal on 22 shots. The Predators defense was great for allowing only 22 pucks on Rinne.
Minus: If you judge it by the box score alone, this was an incredibly boring game. The Thrashers were held under 10 shots in two periods, putting only six shots on net in the first and third period (with 10 in the second).
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63