Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 AM EDT
Here is a rundown of another light night of preseason games.
Plus: Both teams had at least one player who scored two goals. Phil Kessel and Nikolai Kulemin did it for the Maple Leafs while Nathan Gerbe did it for the Sabres. Each team scored a power-play goal, even though there were only five power plays overall.
Minus: Each team’s defense allowed way too many shots, with Buffalo firing 39 shots on goal while Toronto was right behind them with 38. Let’s hope that both clubs tighten things up, because neither club looks like it will score a ton of goals. (Looks can be deceiving, though.)
Plus: I guess coach Jacques Martin got a measure of revenge against his former team? Tomas Plekanec continued his hot preseason play with two goals, including one on the penalty kill. Michael Cammalleri produced one goal and two assists while newcomer Lars “Not from Metallica” Eller managed to put up three assists. David Booth was involved in both Florida goals, gaining a goal and an assist.
Oh, and Carey Price wasn’t horrible, allowing only two goals in this one.
Minus: Florida was 0-5 at even strength and also allowed a shorthanded goal on the power play. That’s not very good, Panthers.
Plus: The Predators’ two best players were strong in this one. Shea Weber factored into both goals with one goal and one assist while goalie Pekka Rinne only allowed one goal on 22 shots. The Predators defense was great for allowing only 22 pucks on Rinne.
Minus: If you judge it by the box score alone, this was an incredibly boring game. The Thrashers were held under 10 shots in two periods, putting only six shots on net in the first and third period (with 10 in the second).
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 10
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)