Sep 28, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
Move over Shaq, you have new competition in the potentially-regrettable field of famous athletes becoming recording artists. Russian news outlet Pravda passes along word that Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin will record a song with moderately washed up* rap superstar Eminem.
Alexander Ovechkin, a Russian professional ice hockey left winger and captain of the Washington Capitals, is going to record a song with internationally known rapper Eminem. NHL’s top paid player is a big fan of hip hop, and he is very happy that now he will have a chance to become a part of it with a legendary artist.
“It would be such an honor for me, because I am a big fan of Eminem. I always have his CDs in my car, and I would be very glad to meet him. By the way, Eminem’s 8 Mile film is just great,” Alexander told Life Sports.
Forgive me for being cynical, but I cannot imagine this situation resulting in anything short of hilarity. Then again, while I cannot speculate on whether or not Ovechkin grew up on the mean streets of Russia, he does share some tendencies with rappers. He makes (and throws around) crazy amounts of money, drives his pricey cars like a speed demon and goes through hot blond Russians faster than he darts around NHL defensemen.
So, maybe it won’t be so bad after all (or at least it might be a little better than “Shaq Diesel”).
Either way, it’s impressive that Ovechkin is enough of a star to earn this opportunity. I don’t see Sidney Crosby pulling this off any time soon, although Evgeni Malkin might get a chance to sit in with the surviving members of Run DMC after witnessing his recent hair cut.
* – At least, he seems washed up, but I could be very wrong. Tell me readers, is he washed up yet? All I know is that “8 Mile” is constantly referenced by people going on job interviews or blind dates when they overestimate the impact of small events on their small lives.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
Want more sports superstar/rap artist crossover fun? Check out The Grio’s list of athletes who should avoid recording hip hop songs at all costs.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)