Sep 28, 2010, 7:22 PM EST
The Stanley Cup is the world’s most famous sports trophy and part of its legacy is having wild misspellings and even names completely crossed off of it. As the engraving of the Chicago Blackhawks’ names was revealed today, you can add another name to the list of misspellings: Kris Versteeg.
The Chicago Sun Times’ Adam Jahns has the photo proof of the misspelling, meanwhile the Toronto Star’s Paul Hunter gets the story straight from the latest misspelling legacy in Stanley Cup history.
“It’s kind of funny. I may never be one of the biggest names in the game but now it’ll go down in history as one of the misspells on the Stanley Cup so I’ll take it,” said Versteeg, who was traded to the Maple Leafs from the champs during the off-season.
“It’s just a perfect example of my life. Just something crazy and quirky that’s always happening to me.”
Versteeg said his brother predicted something would go wrong with the family name when the winger celebrated with his family in Lethbridge, Alta., this summer.
“We were all sitting as a family around the Stanley Cup in the living room looking at all the misspelled names. My brother was like, ‘I guarantee they spell our name wrong,’ ” Versteeg recounted with a chuckle.
As a guy whose had his name misspelled repeatedly over the years by both people of importance and junk mailers alike, stuff like this never fails to make me feel better about having my own name spelled wrong over the years. Then again, it’d make my heart hurt a bit to see it spelled wrong on the Stanley Cup of all things.
Getting to go down in the annals of Stanley Cup lore as someone that had to get their name awkwardly re-carved to spell the name right though is a pretty special thing. Having the sense of humor to not get burned up about it helps too.
(Photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)