Sep 28, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
The Stanley Cup is the world’s most famous sports trophy and part of its legacy is having wild misspellings and even names completely crossed off of it. As the engraving of the Chicago Blackhawks’ names was revealed today, you can add another name to the list of misspellings: Kris Versteeg.
The Chicago Sun Times’ Adam Jahns has the photo proof of the misspelling, meanwhile the Toronto Star’s Paul Hunter gets the story straight from the latest misspelling legacy in Stanley Cup history.
“It’s kind of funny. I may never be one of the biggest names in the game but now it’ll go down in history as one of the misspells on the Stanley Cup so I’ll take it,” said Versteeg, who was traded to the Maple Leafs from the champs during the off-season.
“It’s just a perfect example of my life. Just something crazy and quirky that’s always happening to me.”
Versteeg said his brother predicted something would go wrong with the family name when the winger celebrated with his family in Lethbridge, Alta., this summer.
“We were all sitting as a family around the Stanley Cup in the living room looking at all the misspelled names. My brother was like, ‘I guarantee they spell our name wrong,’ ” Versteeg recounted with a chuckle.
As a guy whose had his name misspelled repeatedly over the years by both people of importance and junk mailers alike, stuff like this never fails to make me feel better about having my own name spelled wrong over the years. Then again, it’d make my heart hurt a bit to see it spelled wrong on the Stanley Cup of all things.
Getting to go down in the annals of Stanley Cup lore as someone that had to get their name awkwardly re-carved to spell the name right though is a pretty special thing. Having the sense of humor to not get burned up about it helps too.
(Photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)