Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s been a rough week for the hard-luck New York Islanders.
First, word broke that Mark Streit will miss six months because of a left shoulder injury. Now Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that promising young power forward Kyle Okposo is experiencing his own shoulder problems, as he apparently will be “out indefinitely” after hurting his right shoulder.
Two days after news broke that top defenseman Mark Streit is likely to miss six months with an injured left shoulder, the team is announcing that forward Kyle Okposo is out indefinitely with an injured right shoulder that requires surgery.
“Out indefinitely” can mean weeks, months or even the entire season. Either way, Okposo’s injury is disturbing news for the Islanders since the right wing is one of the team’s best young skaters alongside John Tavares.
While it’s a small signing and certainly doesn’t cover up all their problems, there is a bit of good news in Long Island. Strang also reports that GM Garth Snow signed former Devils defenseman Mike Mottau to a two-year deal today. We asked why he hadn’t been signed yet recently, so he’s a solid if unspectacular defenseman who will help the Islanders stop at least some of the injury-based bleeding.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)