Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s been a rough week for the hard-luck New York Islanders.
First, word broke that Mark Streit will miss six months because of a left shoulder injury. Now Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that promising young power forward Kyle Okposo is experiencing his own shoulder problems, as he apparently will be “out indefinitely” after hurting his right shoulder.
Two days after news broke that top defenseman Mark Streit is likely to miss six months with an injured left shoulder, the team is announcing that forward Kyle Okposo is out indefinitely with an injured right shoulder that requires surgery.
“Out indefinitely” can mean weeks, months or even the entire season. Either way, Okposo’s injury is disturbing news for the Islanders since the right wing is one of the team’s best young skaters alongside John Tavares.
While it’s a small signing and certainly doesn’t cover up all their problems, there is a bit of good news in Long Island. Strang also reports that GM Garth Snow signed former Devils defenseman Mike Mottau to a two-year deal today. We asked why he hadn’t been signed yet recently, so he’s a solid if unspectacular defenseman who will help the Islanders stop at least some of the injury-based bleeding.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control