Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s been a rough week for the hard-luck New York Islanders.
First, word broke that Mark Streit will miss six months because of a left shoulder injury. Now Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that promising young power forward Kyle Okposo is experiencing his own shoulder problems, as he apparently will be “out indefinitely” after hurting his right shoulder.
Two days after news broke that top defenseman Mark Streit is likely to miss six months with an injured left shoulder, the team is announcing that forward Kyle Okposo is out indefinitely with an injured right shoulder that requires surgery.
“Out indefinitely” can mean weeks, months or even the entire season. Either way, Okposo’s injury is disturbing news for the Islanders since the right wing is one of the team’s best young skaters alongside John Tavares.
While it’s a small signing and certainly doesn’t cover up all their problems, there is a bit of good news in Long Island. Strang also reports that GM Garth Snow signed former Devils defenseman Mike Mottau to a two-year deal today. We asked why he hadn’t been signed yet recently, so he’s a solid if unspectacular defenseman who will help the Islanders stop at least some of the injury-based bleeding.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)