Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 PM EST
It’s been a rough week for the hard-luck New York Islanders.
First, word broke that Mark Streit will miss six months because of a left shoulder injury. Now Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that promising young power forward Kyle Okposo is experiencing his own shoulder problems, as he apparently will be “out indefinitely” after hurting his right shoulder.
Two days after news broke that top defenseman Mark Streit is likely to miss six months with an injured left shoulder, the team is announcing that forward Kyle Okposo is out indefinitely with an injured right shoulder that requires surgery.
“Out indefinitely” can mean weeks, months or even the entire season. Either way, Okposo’s injury is disturbing news for the Islanders since the right wing is one of the team’s best young skaters alongside John Tavares.
While it’s a small signing and certainly doesn’t cover up all their problems, there is a bit of good news in Long Island. Strang also reports that GM Garth Snow signed former Devils defenseman Mike Mottau to a two-year deal today. We asked why he hadn’t been signed yet recently, so he’s a solid if unspectacular defenseman who will help the Islanders stop at least some of the injury-based bleeding.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (83)