Sep 28, 2010, 12:55 PM EDT
There are two bits of very bad injury news for the Flyers today, although one might have a more obvious impact than the other.
The first news passed along by GM Paul Holmgren is that top goalie Michael Leighton will be sidelined for a month because of his back injury. The second bit of negative news is that last year’s leading fighter and lovable lug Ian Laperriere will be “out indefinitely” because of post-concussion symptoms likely suffered from that nasty injury he dealt with during the playoffs.
“Michael saw another doctor last night and a doctor this morning as well,” said Holmgren. “It was discovered through those visits that right now we’re dealing with a bulging disk in his lower back and we’re going to put him on the shelf for about a month.
“The second is Ian Laperriere. He’ll be out indefinitely because of some post-concussion symptoms that he’s dealing with, probably from last year. Over the next period of time… he’s getting an MRI today and Friday he’ll be going to see the doctor he saw in Pittsburgh last year when he had the injury in the playoffs. We won’t have any information on Ian until sometime next week. But he’s going to be out indefinitely with post-concussion symptoms.”
Ouch, a bulging disk certainly doesn’t sound like a minor injury to me. Could a month even be a conservative estimate from Holmgren and the team?
Judging by Marc Savard’s concussion-related struggles – and the fact that Laperriere gets even deeper into the fray considering his rugged style – Lappy could be out a very, very long time. When you read about a player’s brain bleeding you know the news cannot be very good anytime soon.
Could the Flyers look either inside or outside the organization for goalie help? That much is unclear at this point, but we’ll keep you abreast of any news on that front as the Flyers seem banged up even before the season begins.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)