Sep 28, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have plenty of historic rivals, particularly the much-hated Boston Bruins, but the Florida Panthers aren’t one of the teams who come to mind.
Yet if the Vancouver Canucks-Chicago Blackhawks feud teaches us anything, it’s that modern tension trumps historic laundry battles when it comes to turmoil. With 122 penalty minutes handed out in last night’s 6-2 Montreal win, things got a little chippy.
One moment involved Travis Moen supposedly landing two punches on Panthers top pick Erik Gudbranson while he was pinned against the boards and unable to protect himself because a referee was holding his arms back. Judging from the comments made by Gudbranson and Panthers coach Peter DeBoer, the team is not very happy with Moen. (source: The Hockey News.)
”I don’t know when it’s been all right for a veteran to get a young guy hurt, in a vulnerable position, and keep throwing punches,” said Panthers coach Peter DeBoer. ”It’s a play that doesn’t belong in hockey.”
Gudbranson also felt victim of a cheap shot.
”The refs hung me out to dry,” he said. ”I went after him. I wanted to fight him. I instigated it. It was a hockey fight, but the refs had me pinned to the boards and held my arm.
”I could have done the same to him at the end. I could have broken his nose, but I chose not to.”
Claiming he could have “broken his nose” is a pretty bold statement on Gudbranson’s part. While it’s unclear whether or not the young prospect will make the Panthers right away, the next Montreal-Florida game could be interesting to watch. Especially when Travis Moen is on the ice.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)