Sep 27, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Roster cuts aren’t exactly the most interesting thing on the planet. After all, aside from teams burying salary cap hits in the minors (as was the case with Wade Redden and Cristobal Huet), most of these players have been mere blips on the hockey radar. Some are young players who aren’t quite ready for the big time while others are prospects suspended in a puck-based limbo.
(The latter group might want to write down the phone number from one of those ITT Tech commercials, am I right?)
Anyway, in case you are indeed callously intrigued about the plight of these young men, TSN listed all of Monday’s cuts. Here they are.
Mike Angelidis (TB), Chris Durno (TB), Mitchell Fritz (TB), Blair Jones (TB), Vladimir Mihalik (TB), Juraj Simek (TB), Paul Szczechura (TB), Trevor Smith (AN), Dane Byers (NYR), Kris Newbury (NYR), Jeremy Williams (NYR), Darryl Boyce (TOR), Joey Crabb (TOR), Ryan Hamilton (TOR), Alex Foster (TOR), Ryan Hollweg (PHX), Alexandre Picard (PHX), Garrett Stafford (PHX), Nolan Yonkman (PHX), Matt Climie (PHX), Al Montoya (PHX), Patrick Davis (NJ), Stephen Gionta (NJ), Olivier Magnan-Grenier (NJ) Bradley Mills (NJ), Tim Sestito (NJ), Chad Wiseman (NJ), Mike McKenna (NJ), Brian Willsie (WSH), Kyle Greentree (WSH), Andreas Thuresson (NSH), Teemu Laakso (NSH), TJ Hensick (STL), Brad Moran (EDM), Gregory Stewart (EDM), Hugh Jessiman (CHI), Tyler Weiman (VAN), Triston Grant (FLA), Gord Baldwin (CGY), William Thomas (FLA), Andre Benoit (OTT), Mike Brodeur (OTT), Cliche, Marc-Andre Cliche (LA), Thomas Jordan Trevelyan (SJ), Jay Leach (SJ), Sean Sullivan (SJ), Jon Disalvatore (MIN), Robbie Earl (MIN), Petr Kalus (MIN), Warren Peters (MIN)
A few names stand out a little bit. Paul Szczechura‘s demotion will produce a sigh of relief for all Tampa Bay-area copy editors. Ryan Hollweg (sporting that sweet ‘stache in this post’s first photo) was a fairly regular (and generally well-liked) “energy guy” with the New York Rangers, but he won’t be an immediate part of the Coyotes plans. Al Montoya had a nice college career, but there are only so many NHL goalie jobs so he must at least wonder if his professional career might take him to Europe at some point. TJ Hensick was once a promising member of the Colorado Avalanche. Hugh Jessiman might be best known as Glen Sathery’s Folly Part XX. Mike Brodeur and Marc-Andre Cliche both have names that make me giggle.
That just about does it. Apologies if this means nothing to you; I thought it would at least be worth mentioning, though.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)