Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of virtually no one, New York Rangers recently waived defenseman Wade Redden has cleared waivers and will be sent to AHL camp with the Hartford Wolfpack. With that, Redden’s $6.5 million cap hit disappears to the AHL and the race for the spot on the Rangers blue line is on. With the other roster cuts announced, those players battling for that position also clears up.
Alexei Semenov and Garnet Exelby were released from their professional tryout agreement meaning that one of Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, or Mike Sauer will be gunning for the seventh defenseman position with the Rangers. We checked out the race for that spot on the roster on Saturday when Redden was placed on waivers and it appears that head coach John Tortorella is going for youth over experience in doing so. A gutsy move and one that Rangers fans will at least initially support.
Valentenko has impressed so far through camp showcasing a big shot from the point and a bit of a mean streak. McDonagh is still very young yet and the Rangers might want to have him get some work in in the AHL before throwing him into the NHL fire.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 24
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)