Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of virtually no one, New York Rangers recently waived defenseman Wade Redden has cleared waivers and will be sent to AHL camp with the Hartford Wolfpack. With that, Redden’s $6.5 million cap hit disappears to the AHL and the race for the spot on the Rangers blue line is on. With the other roster cuts announced, those players battling for that position also clears up.
Alexei Semenov and Garnet Exelby were released from their professional tryout agreement meaning that one of Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, or Mike Sauer will be gunning for the seventh defenseman position with the Rangers. We checked out the race for that spot on the roster on Saturday when Redden was placed on waivers and it appears that head coach John Tortorella is going for youth over experience in doing so. A gutsy move and one that Rangers fans will at least initially support.
Valentenko has impressed so far through camp showcasing a big shot from the point and a bit of a mean streak. McDonagh is still very young yet and the Rangers might want to have him get some work in in the AHL before throwing him into the NHL fire.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)