Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of virtually no one, New York Rangers recently waived defenseman Wade Redden has cleared waivers and will be sent to AHL camp with the Hartford Wolfpack. With that, Redden’s $6.5 million cap hit disappears to the AHL and the race for the spot on the Rangers blue line is on. With the other roster cuts announced, those players battling for that position also clears up.
Alexei Semenov and Garnet Exelby were released from their professional tryout agreement meaning that one of Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, or Mike Sauer will be gunning for the seventh defenseman position with the Rangers. We checked out the race for that spot on the roster on Saturday when Redden was placed on waivers and it appears that head coach John Tortorella is going for youth over experience in doing so. A gutsy move and one that Rangers fans will at least initially support.
Valentenko has impressed so far through camp showcasing a big shot from the point and a bit of a mean streak. McDonagh is still very young yet and the Rangers might want to have him get some work in in the AHL before throwing him into the NHL fire.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22