Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 PM EST
To the surprise of virtually no one, New York Rangers recently waived defenseman Wade Redden has cleared waivers and will be sent to AHL camp with the Hartford Wolfpack. With that, Redden’s $6.5 million cap hit disappears to the AHL and the race for the spot on the Rangers blue line is on. With the other roster cuts announced, those players battling for that position also clears up.
Alexei Semenov and Garnet Exelby were released from their professional tryout agreement meaning that one of Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, or Mike Sauer will be gunning for the seventh defenseman position with the Rangers. We checked out the race for that spot on the roster on Saturday when Redden was placed on waivers and it appears that head coach John Tortorella is going for youth over experience in doing so. A gutsy move and one that Rangers fans will at least initially support.
Valentenko has impressed so far through camp showcasing a big shot from the point and a bit of a mean streak. McDonagh is still very young yet and the Rangers might want to have him get some work in in the AHL before throwing him into the NHL fire.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)