Sep 27, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
One of the worst-kept secrets in the NHL is finally out there in that open, as the Chicago Blackhawks officially moved expensive goalie Cristobal Huet off of their roster today, according to Chris Kuc.
Meanwhile, veteran goaltender Cristobal Huet cleared waivers and has officially been loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron SA of the Swiss National League A. The Hawks will still have to pay Huet his $5.625 million per season salary but it will not count against the NHL’s salary cap.
While their offense will have some new faces and their defense will largely be the same, the Blackhawks will be 100 percent different next season. Antti Niemi will take his Stanley Cup ring to the San Jose Sharks while Huet will be relegated to Swiss league obscurity in favor of the cap-friendlier pairing of Marty Turco and Corey Crawford.
Don’t feel too bad for Huet, though. He still will receive that hefty $5.625 million salary and probably will get a little extra money from Fribour-Gotteron SA to boot. I empathize with the competitor within Huet, but that’s just the business of the game.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)