Sep 27, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
One of the worst-kept secrets in the NHL is finally out there in that open, as the Chicago Blackhawks officially moved expensive goalie Cristobal Huet off of their roster today, according to Chris Kuc.
Meanwhile, veteran goaltender Cristobal Huet cleared waivers and has officially been loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron SA of the Swiss National League A. The Hawks will still have to pay Huet his $5.625 million per season salary but it will not count against the NHL’s salary cap.
While their offense will have some new faces and their defense will largely be the same, the Blackhawks will be 100 percent different next season. Antti Niemi will take his Stanley Cup ring to the San Jose Sharks while Huet will be relegated to Swiss league obscurity in favor of the cap-friendlier pairing of Marty Turco and Corey Crawford.
Don’t feel too bad for Huet, though. He still will receive that hefty $5.625 million salary and probably will get a little extra money from Fribour-Gotteron SA to boot. I empathize with the competitor within Huet, but that’s just the business of the game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)