Sep 27, 2010, 1:39 AM EDT
While the Islanders are busy dealing with how to handle Mark Streit’s shoulder injury that will keep him out for up to six months, they’ve added a few players to their training camp roster on professional tryouts. NHL veterans Manny Legace, Dean McAmmond, Anders Eriksson, as well as minor leaguers Krys Kolanos and Joel Martin.
Manny Legace we last saw in Carolina backing up Cam Ward. The former Red Wings and Blues goalie isn’t a guy you can count on to be a starter anymore, but being a serviceable backup he’d work well as. With the always porcelain Rick DiPietro as the starter and 40 year-old Dwayne Roloson backing him up, every little bit of motivation to stay sharp helps.
Dean McAmmond gives the Isles another veteran guy to work out and aim for a chance at the fourth line. McAmmond has had one go-round with the Isles before briefly in 2008-2009. He spent last season with the Devils.
Meanwhile, Anders Eriksson getting a chance to win a job with the Isles got a lot more interesting considering Streit’s injury. Eriksson could find a way to steal a depth job with the team. Kolanos and Martin are in camp to try and win jobs in the AHL for Bridgeport more than likely. Kolanos has seen a cup of coffee in the NHL, meanwhile Martin has spent his career in the Central Hockey League.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54