Sep 27, 2010, 1:39 AM EDT
While the Islanders are busy dealing with how to handle Mark Streit’s shoulder injury that will keep him out for up to six months, they’ve added a few players to their training camp roster on professional tryouts. NHL veterans Manny Legace, Dean McAmmond, Anders Eriksson, as well as minor leaguers Krys Kolanos and Joel Martin.
Manny Legace we last saw in Carolina backing up Cam Ward. The former Red Wings and Blues goalie isn’t a guy you can count on to be a starter anymore, but being a serviceable backup he’d work well as. With the always porcelain Rick DiPietro as the starter and 40 year-old Dwayne Roloson backing him up, every little bit of motivation to stay sharp helps.
Dean McAmmond gives the Isles another veteran guy to work out and aim for a chance at the fourth line. McAmmond has had one go-round with the Isles before briefly in 2008-2009. He spent last season with the Devils.
Meanwhile, Anders Eriksson getting a chance to win a job with the Isles got a lot more interesting considering Streit’s injury. Eriksson could find a way to steal a depth job with the team. Kolanos and Martin are in camp to try and win jobs in the AHL for Bridgeport more than likely. Kolanos has seen a cup of coffee in the NHL, meanwhile Martin has spent his career in the Central Hockey League.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)