Sep 27, 2010, 1:39 AM EDT
While the Islanders are busy dealing with how to handle Mark Streit’s shoulder injury that will keep him out for up to six months, they’ve added a few players to their training camp roster on professional tryouts. NHL veterans Manny Legace, Dean McAmmond, Anders Eriksson, as well as minor leaguers Krys Kolanos and Joel Martin.
Manny Legace we last saw in Carolina backing up Cam Ward. The former Red Wings and Blues goalie isn’t a guy you can count on to be a starter anymore, but being a serviceable backup he’d work well as. With the always porcelain Rick DiPietro as the starter and 40 year-old Dwayne Roloson backing him up, every little bit of motivation to stay sharp helps.
Dean McAmmond gives the Isles another veteran guy to work out and aim for a chance at the fourth line. McAmmond has had one go-round with the Isles before briefly in 2008-2009. He spent last season with the Devils.
Meanwhile, Anders Eriksson getting a chance to win a job with the Isles got a lot more interesting considering Streit’s injury. Eriksson could find a way to steal a depth job with the team. Kolanos and Martin are in camp to try and win jobs in the AHL for Bridgeport more than likely. Kolanos has seen a cup of coffee in the NHL, meanwhile Martin has spent his career in the Central Hockey League.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)