Sep 27, 2010, 1:39 AM EDT
While the Islanders are busy dealing with how to handle Mark Streit’s shoulder injury that will keep him out for up to six months, they’ve added a few players to their training camp roster on professional tryouts. NHL veterans Manny Legace, Dean McAmmond, Anders Eriksson, as well as minor leaguers Krys Kolanos and Joel Martin.
Manny Legace we last saw in Carolina backing up Cam Ward. The former Red Wings and Blues goalie isn’t a guy you can count on to be a starter anymore, but being a serviceable backup he’d work well as. With the always porcelain Rick DiPietro as the starter and 40 year-old Dwayne Roloson backing him up, every little bit of motivation to stay sharp helps.
Dean McAmmond gives the Isles another veteran guy to work out and aim for a chance at the fourth line. McAmmond has had one go-round with the Isles before briefly in 2008-2009. He spent last season with the Devils.
Meanwhile, Anders Eriksson getting a chance to win a job with the Isles got a lot more interesting considering Streit’s injury. Eriksson could find a way to steal a depth job with the team. Kolanos and Martin are in camp to try and win jobs in the AHL for Bridgeport more than likely. Kolanos has seen a cup of coffee in the NHL, meanwhile Martin has spent his career in the Central Hockey League.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8