Sep 27, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
Don’t ever let someone tell you that training camp isn’t important. For Washington Capitals tryout candidate Matt Hendricks, it’s turned out to be a great thing. After scoring a hat trick last Wednesday in a preseason game against the Blue Jackets, Hendricks has parlayed that game as well as his overall effort in camp into a one-year two-way contract with the Caps.
Hendricks figures to at least spend most of the season with the Hershey Bears in the AHL, but would likely prove to be one of the first guys called up in the event of an injury during the season. The 29 year-old Hendricks has kicked around the NHL a bit, spending last year with the Colorado Avalanche, so look for him to try and find a way to call Washington home for a bit longer than a year if he can help it.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 3
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 15
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39