Sep 26, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
The Jonathan Cheechoo experiment in Dallas is over. The Stars announced their list of cuts today and Cheechoo’s name was on it. The former 50-goal scorer was getting a tryout with the Stars this year to see if he could recapture his scoring touch that once made him the big man in San Jose, but after failed seasons with San Jose and then Ottawa last year, it appears that Cheechoo’s days in the NHL are numbered.
Dallas head coach Marc Crawford was at least complimentary of Cheechoo’s game upon sending him packing as Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas tells us.
“He’s a good player, he’s played well but you’ve got to be better than the people that we’ve got in the top positions,” said Stars coach Marc Crawford. “No disrespect, but our guys in the top positions said to us that no one is taking our spot. You really have to outplay somebody. It’s unfortunate, but that’s where it is.
“Jonathan is a good pro and is a real honest person. He gave us great effort and we could have very easily kept him, but we felt it would be better to let him try to find something else.”
While Cheechoo could catch on elsewhere, the question becomes: Will he? Cheechoo finished last season playing in AHL Binghamton after not getting it done with Ottawa and after being moved there in the Dany Heatley trade, it makes it a hard sell for any team to take a chance on him.
Guys who see their production fall off a cliff like they have with Cheechoo don’t usually get more than a couple chances to find that touch once again. Perhaps Cheechoo can catch on with someone in the AHL once again or find a job in Europe to get his game going once again. If it can be recaptured in the first place, that is.
(Photo: Ronald Martinez – Getty Images)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 0
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 27
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 20
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)