Sep 26, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
During the Calgary Flames magical playoff run that brought them within one win of a Stanley Cup, Jarome Iginla made a name for himself by scoring a ton of the team’s goals but also made waves by fighting just about anyone. It was a rare moment in which a star player acquitted himself nicely in the field of fisticuffs.
Almost 91 percent of Hockey Fights.com’s readers gave Malkin the “win” while 4.5 percent chose “draw” and the remaining 4.5 percent somehow thought Nash won the battle.
The Pensblog put up some interesting stills of the fight as they were waiting for video footage. Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy provided a little write-up of the fight while the Columbus Dispatch’s Puck-Rakers Blog provided some interesting context that might explain why it happened in the first place.
Nash showed leadership throughout the game including a big open-ice hit on Malkin in the second period. The line of Nash, Derick Brassard and Voracek held its own against the Makin, Crosby and Brett Sterling. The Jackets’ trio combined for six shots and was on the ice for a goal for each team. Malkin got the best of Nash in the fight as he managed to pull the captain’s jersey over his head. “I don’t know if that was left over from the Olympics, but you don’t see that often,” Arniel said of two star fighting.
Nash said Malkin slashed him repeatedly during faceoffs. Malkin is a competitor, and you’ve got to believe open-ice hit didn’t sit well with the big Russian.
Said Nash: That’s part of the game. You battle with one player all night and sometimes it ends up in a fight.”
Interesting stuff there. Too bad the Penguins and Blue Jackets play in different conferences, because it sounds like the two teams could develop an interesting mini-rivalry. Again, if you want to see the video, click here.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)