Sep 25, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
The Wild have an update on goaltender Josh Harding’s condition after leaving last night’s game against St. Louis with an injury and it’s not good news. Harding has a torn ACL and a torn MCL and will likely be out for the season.
For Harding, it’s a brutal blow in what was due to be an important season for him. He’s in the final year of a contract with the Wild and set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Instead, he’ll get his knee operated on and spend his time rehabilitating it to get ready for a chance at a job somewhere next season.
For the Wild, this provides a huge opportunity for Anton Khudobin to step into the backup role with the Wild. Starting goalie Nicklas Backstrom figures to shoulder an even bigger workload at this point but if the Wild are worried that Khudobin can’t get it done, there is Jose Theodore still out there unsigned as a free agent. It’s unlikely that the Wild will go that way as Khudobin was very good in the AHL with Houston last year (2.43 goals against, .907 save percentage).
While the Wild are generally thin in depth in the minor leagues, goaltending is one area where they’re all set. Behind Khudobin there’s career AHL goalie Josh Tordjman as well as Darcy Kuemper. German goalie Dennis Endras will not be a factor this year in the Wild depth plans as he’s playing one more season in the German Elite League before coming to North America next year.
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 2
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 6
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18