Sep 25, 2010, 12:44 PM EST
The Wild have an update on goaltender Josh Harding’s condition after leaving last night’s game against St. Louis with an injury and it’s not good news. Harding has a torn ACL and a torn MCL and will likely be out for the season.
For Harding, it’s a brutal blow in what was due to be an important season for him. He’s in the final year of a contract with the Wild and set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Instead, he’ll get his knee operated on and spend his time rehabilitating it to get ready for a chance at a job somewhere next season.
For the Wild, this provides a huge opportunity for Anton Khudobin to step into the backup role with the Wild. Starting goalie Nicklas Backstrom figures to shoulder an even bigger workload at this point but if the Wild are worried that Khudobin can’t get it done, there is Jose Theodore still out there unsigned as a free agent. It’s unlikely that the Wild will go that way as Khudobin was very good in the AHL with Houston last year (2.43 goals against, .907 save percentage).
While the Wild are generally thin in depth in the minor leagues, goaltending is one area where they’re all set. Behind Khudobin there’s career AHL goalie Josh Tordjman as well as Darcy Kuemper. German goalie Dennis Endras will not be a factor this year in the Wild depth plans as he’s playing one more season in the German Elite League before coming to North America next year.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)