Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Though the extent of the injury is unclear at this time, Ben Wright and Chip Alexander report that Carolina Hurricanes forward Sergei Samsonov was injured early in the third period of tonight’s game against the Atlanta Thrashers. Reports indicate that Samsonov was taken off the ice on a stretcher and Alexander followed up to say that the Russian winger was taken to an Atlanta-area hospital.
Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien delivered the hit that sent Samsonov into the boards. Canes Gameday described the situation in this Tweet.
Sergei Samsonov is tripped and falls head-first into the boards behind the Atlanta net.
I haven’t read anything about the severity of the injury, but obviously this just happened in the last half hour so more information should trickle in soon. You have to worry about head and/or neck injuries in such a situation (no word on if Samsonov showed any signs of movement from any of the Twitter accounts of the injury).
Hopefully Samsonov is OK, but we’ll keep an eye on any updates and pass along the news whenever we hear more about the situation.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)