Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Though the extent of the injury is unclear at this time, Ben Wright and Chip Alexander report that Carolina Hurricanes forward Sergei Samsonov was injured early in the third period of tonight’s game against the Atlanta Thrashers. Reports indicate that Samsonov was taken off the ice on a stretcher and Alexander followed up to say that the Russian winger was taken to an Atlanta-area hospital.
Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien delivered the hit that sent Samsonov into the boards. Canes Gameday described the situation in this Tweet.
Sergei Samsonov is tripped and falls head-first into the boards behind the Atlanta net.
I haven’t read anything about the severity of the injury, but obviously this just happened in the last half hour so more information should trickle in soon. You have to worry about head and/or neck injuries in such a situation (no word on if Samsonov showed any signs of movement from any of the Twitter accounts of the injury).
Hopefully Samsonov is OK, but we’ll keep an eye on any updates and pass along the news whenever we hear more about the situation.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47