Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Though the extent of the injury is unclear at this time, Ben Wright and Chip Alexander report that Carolina Hurricanes forward Sergei Samsonov was injured early in the third period of tonight’s game against the Atlanta Thrashers. Reports indicate that Samsonov was taken off the ice on a stretcher and Alexander followed up to say that the Russian winger was taken to an Atlanta-area hospital.
Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien delivered the hit that sent Samsonov into the boards. Canes Gameday described the situation in this Tweet.
Sergei Samsonov is tripped and falls head-first into the boards behind the Atlanta net.
I haven’t read anything about the severity of the injury, but obviously this just happened in the last half hour so more information should trickle in soon. You have to worry about head and/or neck injuries in such a situation (no word on if Samsonov showed any signs of movement from any of the Twitter accounts of the injury).
Hopefully Samsonov is OK, but we’ll keep an eye on any updates and pass along the news whenever we hear more about the situation.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)