Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Though the extent of the injury is unclear at this time, Ben Wright and Chip Alexander report that Carolina Hurricanes forward Sergei Samsonov was injured early in the third period of tonight’s game against the Atlanta Thrashers. Reports indicate that Samsonov was taken off the ice on a stretcher and Alexander followed up to say that the Russian winger was taken to an Atlanta-area hospital.
Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien delivered the hit that sent Samsonov into the boards. Canes Gameday described the situation in this Tweet.
Sergei Samsonov is tripped and falls head-first into the boards behind the Atlanta net.
I haven’t read anything about the severity of the injury, but obviously this just happened in the last half hour so more information should trickle in soon. You have to worry about head and/or neck injuries in such a situation (no word on if Samsonov showed any signs of movement from any of the Twitter accounts of the injury).
Hopefully Samsonov is OK, but we’ll keep an eye on any updates and pass along the news whenever we hear more about the situation.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)