Sep 25, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Considering that the only information provided regarding Sergei Samsonov’s injury tonight involved him being taken off the ice on a stretcher and sent to an Atlanta-area hospital after hitting the boards head-first, I naturally worried about extreme injuries. Could it be a concussion or, even worse, some form of a broken neck or even paralysis? One’s imagination can fill in some terrible blanks in these situations.
It’s probably too early to rule out the possibility of a concussion, but the Carolina Hurricanes just released some good news about the state of Samsonov.
Sergei Samsonov is at hospital for precautionary testing, but has full sensation & team is hopeful he’ll be released tonight
“Full sensation” indicates that paralysis is not a likely possibility, which is fantastic news. The fact that he might be released from the hospital as early as tonight shows that the injury might not be too severe – in fact, it might not be a big deal at all. Of course, the immediate worries were about bigger picture problems like Samsonov not walking again, so I’d wait a little while before penciling into the Hurricanes lineup again.
We’ll keep you up to date on the situation tonight, tomorrow and on as the team learns more about his condition. So far, the news is pretty good, though.
Update: Doug Abrams passed along a note that the injury might just be a “sprained neck.” We’ll see if the team confirms this report tomorrow.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)