Sep 25, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Considering that the only information provided regarding Sergei Samsonov’s injury tonight involved him being taken off the ice on a stretcher and sent to an Atlanta-area hospital after hitting the boards head-first, I naturally worried about extreme injuries. Could it be a concussion or, even worse, some form of a broken neck or even paralysis? One’s imagination can fill in some terrible blanks in these situations.
It’s probably too early to rule out the possibility of a concussion, but the Carolina Hurricanes just released some good news about the state of Samsonov.
Sergei Samsonov is at hospital for precautionary testing, but has full sensation & team is hopeful he’ll be released tonight
“Full sensation” indicates that paralysis is not a likely possibility, which is fantastic news. The fact that he might be released from the hospital as early as tonight shows that the injury might not be too severe – in fact, it might not be a big deal at all. Of course, the immediate worries were about bigger picture problems like Samsonov not walking again, so I’d wait a little while before penciling into the Hurricanes lineup again.
We’ll keep you up to date on the situation tonight, tomorrow and on as the team learns more about his condition. So far, the news is pretty good, though.
Update: Doug Abrams passed along a note that the injury might just be a “sprained neck.” We’ll see if the team confirms this report tomorrow.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)