Sep 25, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
Considering that the only information provided regarding Sergei Samsonov’s injury tonight involved him being taken off the ice on a stretcher and sent to an Atlanta-area hospital after hitting the boards head-first, I naturally worried about extreme injuries. Could it be a concussion or, even worse, some form of a broken neck or even paralysis? One’s imagination can fill in some terrible blanks in these situations.
It’s probably too early to rule out the possibility of a concussion, but the Carolina Hurricanes just released some good news about the state of Samsonov.
Sergei Samsonov is at hospital for precautionary testing, but has full sensation & team is hopeful he’ll be released tonight
“Full sensation” indicates that paralysis is not a likely possibility, which is fantastic news. The fact that he might be released from the hospital as early as tonight shows that the injury might not be too severe – in fact, it might not be a big deal at all. Of course, the immediate worries were about bigger picture problems like Samsonov not walking again, so I’d wait a little while before penciling into the Hurricanes lineup again.
We’ll keep you up to date on the situation tonight, tomorrow and on as the team learns more about his condition. So far, the news is pretty good, though.
Update: Doug Abrams passed along a note that the injury might just be a “sprained neck.” We’ll see if the team confirms this report tomorrow.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)