Sep 25, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
Today marks an interesting day for NHL transaction watchers as the freeze on placing players on waivers is lifted once again and the New York Rangers aren’t wasting any time. The Rangers announced today that they’ll be placing high-priced defenseman Wade Redden on waivers with the likelihood of having him sent down to the AHL to bury his $6.5 million cap hit in Hartford.
There’s no secret that Redden has struggled since signing with the Rangers before the 2008-2009 season and at a cap hit like he’s got, it’s tough to stomach having him play poorly. While Rangers GM Glen Sather made it a point to say that Redden could play his way into staying in New York this year, the salary cap logistics of that made it virtually impossible.
While it’s possible a team could claim Redden off of waivers, he’s got four years left on his contract. Any team taking that deal now would be paying him in full. There could be a chance that a team would take a chance on the 33 year-old defenseman if he was put through recall waivers where the Rangers would eat part of the cost, but with the Rangers currently more than $4 million over the cap, the chances of him being recalled are virtually nil.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)