Sep 25, 2010, 1:58 AM EDT
Here’s your recap of tonight’s pre-season action. Get the foil on because things got a bit rambunctious tonight, especially in San Jose.
Plus: Detroit’s stars took care of business. Henrik Zetterberg had a goal and an assist while Tomas Holmstrom added a goal and Jimmy Howard played well in a quiet effort over 40 minuts. Jeremy Morin and Brandon Pirri each had a goal and an assist for Chicago.
Minus: Hawks left wing Brandon Bollig managed to get a -2 rating while playing just 6:54 of the game. The trip back to Rockford will be a stinging one.
Plus: Jordin Tootoo scored the eventual game-winning goal in this game. Tootoo scoring at all is reason enough to be a plus. Patrick O’Sullivan scored for Carolina and impressed onlookers overall with his play. That’s a good sign for Carolina. Canes rookie Jeff Skinner had an assist.
Minus: Mark Dekanich allowed the only goal the Preds gave up in this one. One of his competitors for the backup job in Nashville, Anders Lindback, stopped all 10 shots he faced in 30 minutes of work.
Philadelphia 4 – Toronto 3 (F/SO)
Plus: Nikolai Zherdev had two goals for Philadelphia, a welcome sign for the Flyers. Kris Versteeg had a goal and an assist for the Leafs while Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel also scored. Kessel should’ve had two goals on the night, but…
Minus: On-ice officials wrongly waived off what would’ve been a game-winning goal in overtime by Kessel. Since it’s pre-season there was no instant replay to overturn the call. Hey, it’s preseason for everyone.
Plus: Lots of goals from Penguins regulars in this one, including another from Mike Comrie. Tomas Kubalik had a hat trick for Columbus.
Minus: Mathieu Garon stopping 24 out of 29 shots isn’t encouraging. Garon is slated to be Steve Mason’s backup goalie this year. Brent Johnson stopped just 18 out of 21 in 40 minutes of work.
Plus: Andrei Kostitsyn getting on the board for Montreal is encouraging. Without his brother around, some are worried he’ll struggle. P.K. Subban also scored for the Habs. Mike Fisher had a goal for Ottawa. Montreal fans managed to not boo Scott Gomez for wearing Saku Koivu’s old number 11 or any goalies tonight. Well done, fans.
Minus: Pascal Leclaire went the full 60 minutes and stopped 24 out of 28 shots. Meh.
Plus: Ty Conklin was stellar stopping 21 in the shutout while David Perron and Alex Steen had two goals a piece.
Minus: Josh Harding left the game with an apparent knee injury. Minnesota again looked rough in defeat, something fans in St. Paul hope isn’t a sign of things to come.
Plus: Kari Lehtonen looked good in his first action of the pre-season stopping 34 shots in the win. James Neal and Steve Ott had the goals for the Stars.Colorado only gave up 21 shots on goal in this game. Baby steps.
Minus: The Avs managed to turn the shot totals around in this game only to run into a ready-to-play Lehtonen. Them’s the breaks I suppose.
Plus: Corey Perry had a power play hat trick for the Ducks while Ryan Getzlaf added four assists. San Jose threw a Finnish duo at Anaheim in this one. Antti Niemi started while newest favorite name candidate Harri Sateri closed it out. The goals served to be a secondary treat as the teams combined for 144 penalty minutes in a fracas-filled affair.
Minus: Neither Niemi nor Sateri were very inspiring in their efforts for San Jose. Curtis McElhinney and Timo Pielmeier were just as offensive in net for Anaheim. Despite scoring a hat trick, Corey Perry managed to be a -3 in the game. You don’t get a + rating when scoring on the power play.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)