Sep 25, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
What was shaping up to be an intriguing year for the New York Islanders might be getting off to the worst start possible. During today’s scrimmage, defenseman Mark Streit left the game with an apparent shoulder injury. As for how it happened, TSN shares the awkward details.
New York Newsday is reporting that Isles’ All-Star defenceman Mark Streit left the ice clutching his left shoulder after receiving a cross-check from teammate Matt Moulson in a team scrimmage Saturday morning. He was seen later in the hallway leading to the dressing room with his arm in a sling.
Islanders Point Blank’s Chris Botta does some PR analyzing to take a blind stab at a timeframe for how long Streit could be out.
Not medical but PR diagnosis based on team waiting a day on Streit’s shoulder: best case – 2 weeks. Worst – hope for no more than 6.
Regardless, having the team’s best defenseman get hurt for any amount of time is no good and for the Islanders, losing Streit for an extended amount of time severely depletes their blue line corps. Instead of having Mark Streit and James Wisniewski being the top pairing, you’re looking at Wisniewski trying to shoulder the load for the rest of the team. Yipe.
We’ll know more about the severity on Streit’s shoulder by Monday but until then, Islanders fans will be hoping for the best. Streit’s production as a power play quarterback and rock-solid worker overall on the blue line cannot be matched by anyone else on the roster.
(Photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)