Sep 25, 2010, 4:25 PM EST
What was shaping up to be an intriguing year for the New York Islanders might be getting off to the worst start possible. During today’s scrimmage, defenseman Mark Streit left the game with an apparent shoulder injury. As for how it happened, TSN shares the awkward details.
New York Newsday is reporting that Isles’ All-Star defenceman Mark Streit left the ice clutching his left shoulder after receiving a cross-check from teammate Matt Moulson in a team scrimmage Saturday morning. He was seen later in the hallway leading to the dressing room with his arm in a sling.
Islanders Point Blank’s Chris Botta does some PR analyzing to take a blind stab at a timeframe for how long Streit could be out.
Not medical but PR diagnosis based on team waiting a day on Streit’s shoulder: best case – 2 weeks. Worst – hope for no more than 6.
Regardless, having the team’s best defenseman get hurt for any amount of time is no good and for the Islanders, losing Streit for an extended amount of time severely depletes their blue line corps. Instead of having Mark Streit and James Wisniewski being the top pairing, you’re looking at Wisniewski trying to shoulder the load for the rest of the team. Yipe.
We’ll know more about the severity on Streit’s shoulder by Monday but until then, Islanders fans will be hoping for the best. Streit’s production as a power play quarterback and rock-solid worker overall on the blue line cannot be matched by anyone else on the roster.
(Photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)