Sep 25, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
What was shaping up to be an intriguing year for the New York Islanders might be getting off to the worst start possible. During today’s scrimmage, defenseman Mark Streit left the game with an apparent shoulder injury. As for how it happened, TSN shares the awkward details.
New York Newsday is reporting that Isles’ All-Star defenceman Mark Streit left the ice clutching his left shoulder after receiving a cross-check from teammate Matt Moulson in a team scrimmage Saturday morning. He was seen later in the hallway leading to the dressing room with his arm in a sling.
Islanders Point Blank’s Chris Botta does some PR analyzing to take a blind stab at a timeframe for how long Streit could be out.
Not medical but PR diagnosis based on team waiting a day on Streit’s shoulder: best case – 2 weeks. Worst – hope for no more than 6.
Regardless, having the team’s best defenseman get hurt for any amount of time is no good and for the Islanders, losing Streit for an extended amount of time severely depletes their blue line corps. Instead of having Mark Streit and James Wisniewski being the top pairing, you’re looking at Wisniewski trying to shoulder the load for the rest of the team. Yipe.
We’ll know more about the severity on Streit’s shoulder by Monday but until then, Islanders fans will be hoping for the best. Streit’s production as a power play quarterback and rock-solid worker overall on the blue line cannot be matched by anyone else on the roster.
(Photo: Bruce Bennett – Getty Images)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 12
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 6
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 35
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)