Evgeni Malkin fights Rick Nash, Tyler Seguin scores, Carey Price allows 6 in tonight's 'early' games
Sep 25, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
There were a bunch of games tonight, quite a few of them starting late, so here’s a quick recap of the games that began before 9pm ET. We’ll cover the rest Sunday morning.
Plus: Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin skated on the same line, which might not be a great idea for depth scoring but would surely be fun to watch. Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 32 of 33 shots and the Penguins are 3-0 in games that don’t matter at all. Oh and apparently Malkin got in a fight with Blue Jackets star Rick Nash.
Minus: Derick Brassard went 6-18 in the faceoff circle while Columbus went 18-41 overall. Oh, Nash and Malkin also got in a fight. If it was anything like Crosby’s skirmishes, that could be a minus.
Plus: The Sabres bombarded the preseason-weary Leafs (2-2-1) in their exhibition opener with 44 shots on goal. Ryan Miller stopped all of the paltry nine shots he saw in the game.
Minus: “The Curse of Cuthbert” continues as Mike Komisarek was on the ice for all three Sabres goals.
Plus: Jason Spezza (two goals and one assist) and Nick Foligno (two goals) dominated the Habs. Bobby Butler provided one goal and one assist, too.
Minus: The Carey Price bandwagon hit another pothole, as the beleaguered face of the Habs franchise allowed six goals on 30 shots in this one. Is it time to panic yet?
Plus: Mike del Zotto put up an impressive one goal, three assist performance including the overtime game-winner. The Rangers went a stunning 4-for-5 on the power play. Ilya Kovalchuk (one goal and one assist) and Zach Parise (three assists) kept their electric chemistry going.
Minus: Of course, the “ZIP” line hasn’t really created many wins for the Devils just yet. Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Hedberg will not put this game on their personal highlight reels.
Plus: New Bruins Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton scored the goals.
Minus: The Panthers’ 2010 top pick Erik Gudbranson went -2 in the game. The Bruins gave up a 2-0 lead and lost the game.
Plus: Cam Ward earned a shutout, tossing aside all 32 shots while Chris Mason was solid going 28 for 29. Jeff Skinner strengthened his solid chance of making the team by scoring the game’s only goal.
Minus: Sergei Samsonov’s injury overshadowed all of this, although it looks like he’s going to be OK.
Plus: Brenden Morrow and Mike Ribeiro showed why they were once a strong pairing, with Morrow scoring twice and Ribeiro produced two assists.
Minus: Cam Janssen and Krys Barch fought, which might put their regular season fight/play date in jeopardy.
Plus: The announced crowd of 20,553 people set a new franchise record for preseason games in Chicago. Marian Hossa, Jack Skille and Duncan Keith all earned a goal and an assist.
Minus: Chris Osgood was in preseason (or maybe regular season?) form.
Plus: Mike Green factored into both Capitals goals, scoring a goal and an assist.
Minus: Green once sported a faux hawk.
Plus: Nikolai Zherdev scored one real world goal and one shutout goal. Sergei Bobrovsky has a funny last name.
Minus: Oskars Bartulis playing 23 minutes in an NHL game seems crazy, even in a preseason game.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)