Sep 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
While Wade Redden was the first of the notable waiver victims today, there are two others that were placed on waivers this afternoon to help their teams legally lose some money off of the salary cap. If you think that these names will be surprising, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Chicago placed goalie Cristobal Huet on waivers while the Washington Capitals did the same with forward Michael Nylander. Huet hitting the waiver wire is likely the last piece of business that needs to be taken care of before he’s loaned to a team in Switzerland. Huet is losing his spot in Chicago thanks to the Blackhawks supremely poor salary cap management. Also because Cristobal Huet is in no way worth $5.625 million a season against the cap for the next two years.
As for Nylander, he’s been through this dance before with the Capitals last season. After being placed on waivers, Nylander spent some time on loan to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL as well as Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League. Nylander has one more year left on his deal and he’s got a cap hit of $4.875 million. Expect Nylander to either play in the AHL or work out a deal to play in Europe once again.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)