Sep 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
While Wade Redden was the first of the notable waiver victims today, there are two others that were placed on waivers this afternoon to help their teams legally lose some money off of the salary cap. If you think that these names will be surprising, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Chicago placed goalie Cristobal Huet on waivers while the Washington Capitals did the same with forward Michael Nylander. Huet hitting the waiver wire is likely the last piece of business that needs to be taken care of before he’s loaned to a team in Switzerland. Huet is losing his spot in Chicago thanks to the Blackhawks supremely poor salary cap management. Also because Cristobal Huet is in no way worth $5.625 million a season against the cap for the next two years.
As for Nylander, he’s been through this dance before with the Capitals last season. After being placed on waivers, Nylander spent some time on loan to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL as well as Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League. Nylander has one more year left on his deal and he’s got a cap hit of $4.875 million. Expect Nylander to either play in the AHL or work out a deal to play in Europe once again.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)