Sep 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
While Wade Redden was the first of the notable waiver victims today, there are two others that were placed on waivers this afternoon to help their teams legally lose some money off of the salary cap. If you think that these names will be surprising, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Chicago placed goalie Cristobal Huet on waivers while the Washington Capitals did the same with forward Michael Nylander. Huet hitting the waiver wire is likely the last piece of business that needs to be taken care of before he’s loaned to a team in Switzerland. Huet is losing his spot in Chicago thanks to the Blackhawks supremely poor salary cap management. Also because Cristobal Huet is in no way worth $5.625 million a season against the cap for the next two years.
As for Nylander, he’s been through this dance before with the Capitals last season. After being placed on waivers, Nylander spent some time on loan to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL as well as Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League. Nylander has one more year left on his deal and he’s got a cap hit of $4.875 million. Expect Nylander to either play in the AHL or work out a deal to play in Europe once again.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)