Sep 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
While Wade Redden was the first of the notable waiver victims today, there are two others that were placed on waivers this afternoon to help their teams legally lose some money off of the salary cap. If you think that these names will be surprising, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Chicago placed goalie Cristobal Huet on waivers while the Washington Capitals did the same with forward Michael Nylander. Huet hitting the waiver wire is likely the last piece of business that needs to be taken care of before he’s loaned to a team in Switzerland. Huet is losing his spot in Chicago thanks to the Blackhawks supremely poor salary cap management. Also because Cristobal Huet is in no way worth $5.625 million a season against the cap for the next two years.
As for Nylander, he’s been through this dance before with the Capitals last season. After being placed on waivers, Nylander spent some time on loan to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL as well as Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League. Nylander has one more year left on his deal and he’s got a cap hit of $4.875 million. Expect Nylander to either play in the AHL or work out a deal to play in Europe once again.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)