Sep 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
While Wade Redden was the first of the notable waiver victims today, there are two others that were placed on waivers this afternoon to help their teams legally lose some money off of the salary cap. If you think that these names will be surprising, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Chicago placed goalie Cristobal Huet on waivers while the Washington Capitals did the same with forward Michael Nylander. Huet hitting the waiver wire is likely the last piece of business that needs to be taken care of before he’s loaned to a team in Switzerland. Huet is losing his spot in Chicago thanks to the Blackhawks supremely poor salary cap management. Also because Cristobal Huet is in no way worth $5.625 million a season against the cap for the next two years.
As for Nylander, he’s been through this dance before with the Capitals last season. After being placed on waivers, Nylander spent some time on loan to the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL as well as Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League. Nylander has one more year left on his deal and he’s got a cap hit of $4.875 million. Expect Nylander to either play in the AHL or work out a deal to play in Europe once again.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)