Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Ah, the “cutthroat” or throat-slashing gesture. It’s been a time-(dis)honored hand motion that makes me nostalgic for the days when a wrestling pay-per-view was the pinnacle of entertainment for my eight year old self.
Apparently the NHL’s disciplinary decision makers aren’t big professional wrestling fans, though. The league just announced that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman will be suspended from the team’s regular season opener on October 7 for making that motion after a fight in a preseason game.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Boynton will forfeit $2,688.17. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The incident occurred at 13:04 of the second period. He was assessed a game misconduct (Rule 75.5) on the play.
Here is a video clip of a bloodied Boynton making the hand motion.
So, let’s take a quick look at the league’s suspension standards.
- If you make a childish remark about an opposing team’s player and your ex-girlfriend, you earn a six game suspension.
- If you hit someone with an unnecessary blindside hit (before this coming season?) and ruin his career, you get suspended for exactly 0 games.
- If you make a caveman-like macho gesture like the throat slashing hand motion, you get a one game suspension.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)