Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Ah, the “cutthroat” or throat-slashing gesture. It’s been a time-(dis)honored hand motion that makes me nostalgic for the days when a wrestling pay-per-view was the pinnacle of entertainment for my eight year old self.
Apparently the NHL’s disciplinary decision makers aren’t big professional wrestling fans, though. The league just announced that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman will be suspended from the team’s regular season opener on October 7 for making that motion after a fight in a preseason game.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Boynton will forfeit $2,688.17. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The incident occurred at 13:04 of the second period. He was assessed a game misconduct (Rule 75.5) on the play.
Here is a video clip of a bloodied Boynton making the hand motion.
So, let’s take a quick look at the league’s suspension standards.
- If you make a childish remark about an opposing team’s player and your ex-girlfriend, you earn a six game suspension.
- If you hit someone with an unnecessary blindside hit (before this coming season?) and ruin his career, you get suspended for exactly 0 games.
- If you make a caveman-like macho gesture like the throat slashing hand motion, you get a one game suspension.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)