Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Ah, the “cutthroat” or throat-slashing gesture. It’s been a time-(dis)honored hand motion that makes me nostalgic for the days when a wrestling pay-per-view was the pinnacle of entertainment for my eight year old self.
Apparently the NHL’s disciplinary decision makers aren’t big professional wrestling fans, though. The league just announced that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman will be suspended from the team’s regular season opener on October 7 for making that motion after a fight in a preseason game.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Boynton will forfeit $2,688.17. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The incident occurred at 13:04 of the second period. He was assessed a game misconduct (Rule 75.5) on the play.
Here is a video clip of a bloodied Boynton making the hand motion.
So, let’s take a quick look at the league’s suspension standards.
- If you make a childish remark about an opposing team’s player and your ex-girlfriend, you earn a six game suspension.
- If you hit someone with an unnecessary blindside hit (before this coming season?) and ruin his career, you get suspended for exactly 0 games.
- If you make a caveman-like macho gesture like the throat slashing hand motion, you get a one game suspension.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)