Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Ah, the “cutthroat” or throat-slashing gesture. It’s been a time-(dis)honored hand motion that makes me nostalgic for the days when a wrestling pay-per-view was the pinnacle of entertainment for my eight year old self.
Apparently the NHL’s disciplinary decision makers aren’t big professional wrestling fans, though. The league just announced that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman will be suspended from the team’s regular season opener on October 7 for making that motion after a fight in a preseason game.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Boynton will forfeit $2,688.17. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The incident occurred at 13:04 of the second period. He was assessed a game misconduct (Rule 75.5) on the play.
Here is a video clip of a bloodied Boynton making the hand motion.
So, let’s take a quick look at the league’s suspension standards.
- If you make a childish remark about an opposing team’s player and your ex-girlfriend, you earn a six game suspension.
- If you hit someone with an unnecessary blindside hit (before this coming season?) and ruin his career, you get suspended for exactly 0 games.
- If you make a caveman-like macho gesture like the throat slashing hand motion, you get a one game suspension.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)