Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Ah, the “cutthroat” or throat-slashing gesture. It’s been a time-(dis)honored hand motion that makes me nostalgic for the days when a wrestling pay-per-view was the pinnacle of entertainment for my eight year old self.
Apparently the NHL’s disciplinary decision makers aren’t big professional wrestling fans, though. The league just announced that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman will be suspended from the team’s regular season opener on October 7 for making that motion after a fight in a preseason game.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Boynton will forfeit $2,688.17. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
The incident occurred at 13:04 of the second period. He was assessed a game misconduct (Rule 75.5) on the play.
Here is a video clip of a bloodied Boynton making the hand motion.
So, let’s take a quick look at the league’s suspension standards.
- If you make a childish remark about an opposing team’s player and your ex-girlfriend, you earn a six game suspension.
- If you hit someone with an unnecessary blindside hit (before this coming season?) and ruin his career, you get suspended for exactly 0 games.
- If you make a caveman-like macho gesture like the throat slashing hand motion, you get a one game suspension.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)