Sep 23, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
In case you missed it in our recap of last night’s pre-season action, Blackhawks defenseman Nick Boynton got himself in a little bit of trouble. After delivering a highly-questionable knee-on-knee hit to Lightning forward Chris Durno, Lightning teammate Blair Jones grabbed Boynton to settle things via fisticuffs. After the fight concluded, Boynton, while being hauled to the penalty box, said some colorful things to Jones and then made an apparent throat-slashing gesture. Click here to check out the video and judge for yourself.
Doing such things is pretty much verboten in any league these days, and the NHL is apparently taking an interest in just about everything wrong that Boynton did in this situation. Sportsnet has the details.
An NHL source told sportsnet.ca that the league is not happy with Boynton’s gesture, but it is unlikely to announce supplementary discipline on Thursday.
All right so if they’re not happy with it but they’re not going to do anything about it, does that mean then that Boynton doesn’t get a snack pack with his lunch today? Perhaps that just means Colin Campbell grumbles quietly to himself, shaking his fist at the sky hoping to do more.
While the throat-slash is bad for PR, what’s bad for players is getting hit knee-on-knee the way Durno was. Perhaps punishing that action would benefit the league a bit more than getting on the case of a player shouting four-letter words and blowing his top. Well now that I put it that way… Never mind.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)