Sep 23, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
In case you missed it in our recap of last night’s pre-season action, Blackhawks defenseman Nick Boynton got himself in a little bit of trouble. After delivering a highly-questionable knee-on-knee hit to Lightning forward Chris Durno, Lightning teammate Blair Jones grabbed Boynton to settle things via fisticuffs. After the fight concluded, Boynton, while being hauled to the penalty box, said some colorful things to Jones and then made an apparent throat-slashing gesture. Click here to check out the video and judge for yourself.
Doing such things is pretty much verboten in any league these days, and the NHL is apparently taking an interest in just about everything wrong that Boynton did in this situation. Sportsnet has the details.
An NHL source told sportsnet.ca that the league is not happy with Boynton’s gesture, but it is unlikely to announce supplementary discipline on Thursday.
All right so if they’re not happy with it but they’re not going to do anything about it, does that mean then that Boynton doesn’t get a snack pack with his lunch today? Perhaps that just means Colin Campbell grumbles quietly to himself, shaking his fist at the sky hoping to do more.
While the throat-slash is bad for PR, what’s bad for players is getting hit knee-on-knee the way Durno was. Perhaps punishing that action would benefit the league a bit more than getting on the case of a player shouting four-letter words and blowing his top. Well now that I put it that way… Never mind.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)