Sep 23, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
It appears, at least, that Johan Franzen and the Detroit Red Wings face a good news, bad news situation. The good news is that it seems like the fallout of Brooks Oprik’s knee-to-knee hit on the injury prone forward won’t be too severe. The bad news is that he will, in fact, miss time and might be re-evaluated later on.
According to a story in the Associated Press, Franzen will be held out of at least three preseason games because of that “charley horse.”
The Detroit Red Wings expect forward Johan Franzen to miss at least three preseason games with a thigh injury.
Franzen was hurt in a collision with Pittsburgh’s Brooks Orpik. The Penguins defenseman was given a major penalty for kneeing Franzen and knocking him from the game during the first period of Wednesday night’s preseason opener for both teams.
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says he’s hoping the NHL fines Orpik for the hit.
Knee-to-knee hits are dangerous and often seem to get swept under the rug since they lack the bombastic awe of a hit to the head. Sometimes they are accidental, but there are frequent moments when it’s pretty difficult to give the offending party the benefit of the doubt.
Franzen can be an absolute force on the ice, but the problem is that he’s starting to develop a Peter Forsbergian track record of being rugged yet extremely injury prone. The Red Wings better be careful not to break “The Mule” by forcing him back too soon.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)