Sep 23, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
It appears, at least, that Johan Franzen and the Detroit Red Wings face a good news, bad news situation. The good news is that it seems like the fallout of Brooks Oprik’s knee-to-knee hit on the injury prone forward won’t be too severe. The bad news is that he will, in fact, miss time and might be re-evaluated later on.
According to a story in the Associated Press, Franzen will be held out of at least three preseason games because of that “charley horse.”
The Detroit Red Wings expect forward Johan Franzen to miss at least three preseason games with a thigh injury.
Franzen was hurt in a collision with Pittsburgh’s Brooks Orpik. The Penguins defenseman was given a major penalty for kneeing Franzen and knocking him from the game during the first period of Wednesday night’s preseason opener for both teams.
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says he’s hoping the NHL fines Orpik for the hit.
Knee-to-knee hits are dangerous and often seem to get swept under the rug since they lack the bombastic awe of a hit to the head. Sometimes they are accidental, but there are frequent moments when it’s pretty difficult to give the offending party the benefit of the doubt.
Franzen can be an absolute force on the ice, but the problem is that he’s starting to develop a Peter Forsbergian track record of being rugged yet extremely injury prone. The Red Wings better be careful not to break “The Mule” by forcing him back too soon.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)