Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
Signs you know hockey means something different in Montreal: Your starting goaltender gets booed off the ice in his first start in a pre-season game.
Habs netminder Carey Price stopped six out of ten shots he faced in the 30 minutes he played against the Bruins in a 4-2 loss in Montreal tonight and was serenaded with boos from the home fans. After the Habs opted to trade Jaroslav Halak in the off-season to St. Louis, coming out with a stinker in his first appearance after being anointed the “man” by the Habs front office didn’t do much to make the fans feel good about the choice.
Of course, this is just 30 minutes in the first pre-season game of the year so if you’re going to have a crappy night, doing it now is the best time to do it when the games count for absolutely nothing. In other words, Habs fans should take Price’s performance tonight with a grain of salt and hope that he’s just getting his yips out of the way now.
What didn’t help matters is that Price didn’t face the media after the game. Coming out and saying you had a crappy pre-season game and that you’ll get better soon would do a lot to help calm down the irrational mob in Montreal. Instead, Price will have to deal with being skewered by the rabid Montreal press.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)