Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
Signs you know hockey means something different in Montreal: Your starting goaltender gets booed off the ice in his first start in a pre-season game.
Habs netminder Carey Price stopped six out of ten shots he faced in the 30 minutes he played against the Bruins in a 4-2 loss in Montreal tonight and was serenaded with boos from the home fans. After the Habs opted to trade Jaroslav Halak in the off-season to St. Louis, coming out with a stinker in his first appearance after being anointed the “man” by the Habs front office didn’t do much to make the fans feel good about the choice.
Of course, this is just 30 minutes in the first pre-season game of the year so if you’re going to have a crappy night, doing it now is the best time to do it when the games count for absolutely nothing. In other words, Habs fans should take Price’s performance tonight with a grain of salt and hope that he’s just getting his yips out of the way now.
What didn’t help matters is that Price didn’t face the media after the game. Coming out and saying you had a crappy pre-season game and that you’ll get better soon would do a lot to help calm down the irrational mob in Montreal. Instead, Price will have to deal with being skewered by the rabid Montreal press.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)