Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
Signs you know hockey means something different in Montreal: Your starting goaltender gets booed off the ice in his first start in a pre-season game.
Habs netminder Carey Price stopped six out of ten shots he faced in the 30 minutes he played against the Bruins in a 4-2 loss in Montreal tonight and was serenaded with boos from the home fans. After the Habs opted to trade Jaroslav Halak in the off-season to St. Louis, coming out with a stinker in his first appearance after being anointed the “man” by the Habs front office didn’t do much to make the fans feel good about the choice.
Of course, this is just 30 minutes in the first pre-season game of the year so if you’re going to have a crappy night, doing it now is the best time to do it when the games count for absolutely nothing. In other words, Habs fans should take Price’s performance tonight with a grain of salt and hope that he’s just getting his yips out of the way now.
What didn’t help matters is that Price didn’t face the media after the game. Coming out and saying you had a crappy pre-season game and that you’ll get better soon would do a lot to help calm down the irrational mob in Montreal. Instead, Price will have to deal with being skewered by the rabid Montreal press.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)