Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
Signs you know hockey means something different in Montreal: Your starting goaltender gets booed off the ice in his first start in a pre-season game.
Habs netminder Carey Price stopped six out of ten shots he faced in the 30 minutes he played against the Bruins in a 4-2 loss in Montreal tonight and was serenaded with boos from the home fans. After the Habs opted to trade Jaroslav Halak in the off-season to St. Louis, coming out with a stinker in his first appearance after being anointed the “man” by the Habs front office didn’t do much to make the fans feel good about the choice.
Of course, this is just 30 minutes in the first pre-season game of the year so if you’re going to have a crappy night, doing it now is the best time to do it when the games count for absolutely nothing. In other words, Habs fans should take Price’s performance tonight with a grain of salt and hope that he’s just getting his yips out of the way now.
What didn’t help matters is that Price didn’t face the media after the game. Coming out and saying you had a crappy pre-season game and that you’ll get better soon would do a lot to help calm down the irrational mob in Montreal. Instead, Price will have to deal with being skewered by the rabid Montreal press.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 30
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 16
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement