Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
Signs you know hockey means something different in Montreal: Your starting goaltender gets booed off the ice in his first start in a pre-season game.
Habs netminder Carey Price stopped six out of ten shots he faced in the 30 minutes he played against the Bruins in a 4-2 loss in Montreal tonight and was serenaded with boos from the home fans. After the Habs opted to trade Jaroslav Halak in the off-season to St. Louis, coming out with a stinker in his first appearance after being anointed the “man” by the Habs front office didn’t do much to make the fans feel good about the choice.
Of course, this is just 30 minutes in the first pre-season game of the year so if you’re going to have a crappy night, doing it now is the best time to do it when the games count for absolutely nothing. In other words, Habs fans should take Price’s performance tonight with a grain of salt and hope that he’s just getting his yips out of the way now.
What didn’t help matters is that Price didn’t face the media after the game. Coming out and saying you had a crappy pre-season game and that you’ll get better soon would do a lot to help calm down the irrational mob in Montreal. Instead, Price will have to deal with being skewered by the rabid Montreal press.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 15
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)