Sep 22, 2010, 2:03 AM EDT
Matt Stajan has had a rough couple of days. First, he complained about being one of the “other guys” in the Dion Phaneuf trade saying so much as he was sick of hearing about Phaneuf from Toronto media. Tonight, Stajan left tonight’s game against the Canucks with a shoulder injury. Flames assistant GM Jay Feaster had this to say about the injury, courtesy of Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
“He hurt his shoulder,” said assistant general manager Jay Feaster. “He was examined here tonight. Obviously couldn’t come back. But we won’t know exactly the extent of it until he sees the doctors back in Calgary.”
Stajan suffered the injury near the Calgary bench in the first period when he was reaching for the puck.
“He’s going to miss some time,” Feaster said. “But we’ll wait until we see the doctors.”
If the injury turns out to be significant, it’s a brutal blow to the Flames who are counting on Stajan to be at least their third center if not their second. The Flames are already a bit thin up the middle as it is and they’ve been testing out right wing David Moss at center at the start of camp.
Losing Stajan for an inordinate amount of time while Daymond Langkow is still out crushes their depth up the middle and turns the pressure up on Olli Jokinen to perform in a big way. For the Flames’ sake, they should hope it’s just a stinger otherwise they’ll be scrambling to fill big-minute roles from within.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)