Sep 22, 2010, 2:03 AM EDT
Matt Stajan has had a rough couple of days. First, he complained about being one of the “other guys” in the Dion Phaneuf trade saying so much as he was sick of hearing about Phaneuf from Toronto media. Tonight, Stajan left tonight’s game against the Canucks with a shoulder injury. Flames assistant GM Jay Feaster had this to say about the injury, courtesy of Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
“He hurt his shoulder,” said assistant general manager Jay Feaster. “He was examined here tonight. Obviously couldn’t come back. But we won’t know exactly the extent of it until he sees the doctors back in Calgary.”
Stajan suffered the injury near the Calgary bench in the first period when he was reaching for the puck.
“He’s going to miss some time,” Feaster said. “But we’ll wait until we see the doctors.”
If the injury turns out to be significant, it’s a brutal blow to the Flames who are counting on Stajan to be at least their third center if not their second. The Flames are already a bit thin up the middle as it is and they’ve been testing out right wing David Moss at center at the start of camp.
Losing Stajan for an inordinate amount of time while Daymond Langkow is still out crushes their depth up the middle and turns the pressure up on Olli Jokinen to perform in a big way. For the Flames’ sake, they should hope it’s just a stinger otherwise they’ll be scrambling to fill big-minute roles from within.
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 34
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 23
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 12
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 10
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 24
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)