Sep 22, 2010, 2:03 AM EDT
Matt Stajan has had a rough couple of days. First, he complained about being one of the “other guys” in the Dion Phaneuf trade saying so much as he was sick of hearing about Phaneuf from Toronto media. Tonight, Stajan left tonight’s game against the Canucks with a shoulder injury. Flames assistant GM Jay Feaster had this to say about the injury, courtesy of Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
“He hurt his shoulder,” said assistant general manager Jay Feaster. “He was examined here tonight. Obviously couldn’t come back. But we won’t know exactly the extent of it until he sees the doctors back in Calgary.”
Stajan suffered the injury near the Calgary bench in the first period when he was reaching for the puck.
“He’s going to miss some time,” Feaster said. “But we’ll wait until we see the doctors.”
If the injury turns out to be significant, it’s a brutal blow to the Flames who are counting on Stajan to be at least their third center if not their second. The Flames are already a bit thin up the middle as it is and they’ve been testing out right wing David Moss at center at the start of camp.
Losing Stajan for an inordinate amount of time while Daymond Langkow is still out crushes their depth up the middle and turns the pressure up on Olli Jokinen to perform in a big way. For the Flames’ sake, they should hope it’s just a stinger otherwise they’ll be scrambling to fill big-minute roles from within.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car