Sep 21, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
As a holdover who many criticize, Tom Poti won’t ease many of the concerns people have about the Washington Capitals defense. That being said, the team decided to extend Poti’s contract, keeping him in the fold for two years after his old deal expires this season.
TSN’s Bob MacKenzie reports that the deal will pay him $3 million in 2011-12 and $2.75 million in 12-13. That new deal will register a $2.875 million annual cap hit after this season.
Poti has been part of the Capitals organization for the last three seasons, with the 09-10 season being his best campaign. He scored 24 points in 70 games with a massive +26 plus/minus. Naturally, some will point out that plenty of players benefited statistically from being on that regular season powerhouse last season, but that’s still an impressive set of numbers for a guy who often gets critiqued for his play in his own end.
He’s a bit injury prone and can struggle a bit on the penalty kill, but some consider him the ninth best defenseman in the Southeast Division. What do you think about the deal?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)