Sep 21, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Bruins forward Marc Savard certainly isn’t lacking intrigue. After being held off of the ice during the start of training camp due to lingering effects from post-concussion syndrome, worry grew about just what Savard’s condition actually was. After all, he came back seemingly early to rejoin the Bruins in the playoffs last season and now he’s being held from the ice.
According to a report on ESPN Boston’s website, Savard could end up missing the entire season.
Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard could miss the entire 2010-2011 season with post-concussion syndrome, according to a team source.
The source stressed that there are many unknowns at this point.
“It’s not a good situation,” the source said. “It’s complex. Not sure how this will play out.”
Yikes. As things go with situations like this, the Bruins were quick to make an announcement shooting down the report. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli had this to say:
“As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome. He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.
Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc’s status, I will issue an update.”
Making things even more tense, Savard’s agent Larry Kelly also spoke out about this to TSN’s Bob McKenzie who tweeted Kelly’s thoughts.
Savard’s agent Larry Kelly: “No one is in a position at this point in time to make a statement of that nature. No one.”
Looking at this situation provides more drama and intrigue than the Bruins wanted. Of course, this is rich fodder for speculation on what’s going on. Does someone on the inside know something more about Savard’s condition? Are the Bruins are doing damage control in case they were going to make a deal during camp to help fill out the ranks to save the team’s scoring? Or is this just the case of yet another rumor gone awry based on an initial diagnosis? Your guesses are as good as ours.
With Savard out of the lineup indefinitely, however, the Bruins are set up now to give rookie Tyler Seguin an opportunity to win bigger minutes and a spot with the team. This also gives David Krejci the opportunity to prove himself worthy of being a #1 center as well. While some folks figure that any extended absence by Savard gives the Bruins salary relief, that’s not totally true as the Bruins were already clear to start the season as Marco Sturm will start the year on the LTIR thanks to off-season knee surgery.
Savard’s situation was worth watching in the first place after the summer of trade talk, now it’s a full-blown Boston soap opera as the already high interest in Savard’s health is escalated to hysterical proportion to see if he does, indeed, end up out for an extended time.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 3
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 5
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 35
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)