Sep 21, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
While Jason Smith pleaded not guilty for charges that allegedly happened off ice, Atlanta Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier faces a trial for something that happened on the ice. Cormier pleaded not guilty as well, according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier pleaded not guilty of assault causing injury on Monday, the charge stemming from an on-ice hit during a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game last season.
Cormier was not present at the hearing, which was held in Quebec. A court date of Oct. 19 was set. He faces up to 18 months in prison if convicted.
Cormier was charged after delivering an elbow to an opposing player while playing for Rouyn-Noranda in a QMJHL game in January. The forward was suspended for the rest for the season and the playoffs for the hit to the head of Mikael Tam of the Quebec Remparts on Jan. 17.
Cormier was hoping to put the incident behind him and make the team this season, but that dream is on hold now that he is sidelined indefinitely with a broken foot from a team scrimmage last week.
It was an ugly hit and 18 months in prison is obviously a hefty term, so we’ll keep you updated regarding what happens with a player who was a big part of the trade that sent Ilya Kovalchuk to the New Jersey Devils.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)