Sep 21, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
While Jason Smith pleaded not guilty for charges that allegedly happened off ice, Atlanta Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier faces a trial for something that happened on the ice. Cormier pleaded not guilty as well, according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier pleaded not guilty of assault causing injury on Monday, the charge stemming from an on-ice hit during a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game last season.
Cormier was not present at the hearing, which was held in Quebec. A court date of Oct. 19 was set. He faces up to 18 months in prison if convicted.
Cormier was charged after delivering an elbow to an opposing player while playing for Rouyn-Noranda in a QMJHL game in January. The forward was suspended for the rest for the season and the playoffs for the hit to the head of Mikael Tam of the Quebec Remparts on Jan. 17.
Cormier was hoping to put the incident behind him and make the team this season, but that dream is on hold now that he is sidelined indefinitely with a broken foot from a team scrimmage last week.
It was an ugly hit and 18 months in prison is obviously a hefty term, so we’ll keep you updated regarding what happens with a player who was a big part of the trade that sent Ilya Kovalchuk to the New Jersey Devils.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights