Sep 21, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The New York Islanders announced that they signed first round pick Nino Niederreiter to an entry-level contract today. Financial details haven’t been revealed yet, but there’s a rookie maximum anyway, so there are limitations on the kind of money that can be thrown around.
The Islanders selected Niederreiter with the fifth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft after completing his rookie season with the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League. While in Portland, Niederreiter played in 65 regular season games, leading the team in goals with 36. He also registered 24 assists for a total of 60 points. In the playoffs, the rookie centerman earned more than a point-per-game when he tallied 16 points (8 goals, 8 assists) in 13 games.
According to the Isles GM, Niederreiter will continue working with the Islanders through the remainder of the 2010 Training Camp, hoping to demonstrate his ability to play at the professional level.
Islanders GM Garth Snow landed an interesting group of prospects, including Niederreiter and Brock Nelson in the first round while also taking a chance on talented but troublesome Russian Kirill Kabanov.
Good size and skill. Niederreiter is well developed physically and excels in big games. Rates very high on sheer skill, determination and personality.
There’s plenty of room for young players on Long Island, so you never know, Niederreiter may receive a chance to jump to the NHL right away. Training camp will have a big impact on his chances, so we’ll see what happens.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)