Sep 21, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Former National Hockey League star Jason Smith faces a trial on Nov. 12 for allegedly assaulting his wife and oldest of two daughters last month.
Smith, who lives in Calgary, pleaded not guilty.
The trial was set by provincial court Judge Heather Lamoureux on Monday after a clause that prevented Smith from having contact with his family was removed from his bail conditions.
Lamoureux conditionally deleted the no-contact order after hearing an application by defence lawyer Alain Hepner.
Hepner said he made the request after Home Front, a Crown support group for victims of domestic violence, interviewed the alleged victims. Crown prosecutor Hyatt Mograbee did not oppose the application.
Hepner said any contact or attendance at the family home in Greely, Ont., a suburb of Ottawa, must be approved by Smith’s counselor.
It’s an unfortunate situation, one that doesn’t involve a whole lot of tangible information. We’ll pass along word about his trial once it comes through in November. Hopefully Smith and his family can move on from this incident, whether they are reunited or not.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)