Sep 21, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Former National Hockey League star Jason Smith faces a trial on Nov. 12 for allegedly assaulting his wife and oldest of two daughters last month.
Smith, who lives in Calgary, pleaded not guilty.
The trial was set by provincial court Judge Heather Lamoureux on Monday after a clause that prevented Smith from having contact with his family was removed from his bail conditions.
Lamoureux conditionally deleted the no-contact order after hearing an application by defence lawyer Alain Hepner.
Hepner said he made the request after Home Front, a Crown support group for victims of domestic violence, interviewed the alleged victims. Crown prosecutor Hyatt Mograbee did not oppose the application.
Hepner said any contact or attendance at the family home in Greely, Ont., a suburb of Ottawa, must be approved by Smith’s counselor.
It’s an unfortunate situation, one that doesn’t involve a whole lot of tangible information. We’ll pass along word about his trial once it comes through in November. Hopefully Smith and his family can move on from this incident, whether they are reunited or not.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal