Sep 21, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed Jeff Skinner today, locking up the seventh pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft to a three-year contract.
He will be paid $810,000 per season at the NHL level or $67,500 per year at the minor league level, and also received a $270,000 signing bonus.
The 18-year-old Ontario native ranked second in the Ontario Hockey League with 50 goals last season and added 40 assists for 90 points in 64 games for the Kitchener Rangers. He added 20 goals and 33 points in the OHL playoffs.
“Jeff was one of the OHL’s top forwards last season and really stood out at the prospects tournament in Michigan,” said Hurricanes president and GM Jim Rutherford. “He’s an exciting, young player and an important part of the future for the Hurricanes.”
As Joe reported a week ago, Rutherford said that Skinner will get a real shot to make the team right out of the draft this season.
After missing the playoffs amid a really rough season last year, the Hurricanes also let one of their most productive forwards Ray Whitney go, so there’s definitely some space for new blood. Skinner certainly isn’t an automatic fit on the big club, but this should be a big training camp for the Canes prospect. This should be an interesting story to watch as October 7 approaches.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 0
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 4
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 24
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 86
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (86)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months