Sep 21, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed Jeff Skinner today, locking up the seventh pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft to a three-year contract.
He will be paid $810,000 per season at the NHL level or $67,500 per year at the minor league level, and also received a $270,000 signing bonus.
The 18-year-old Ontario native ranked second in the Ontario Hockey League with 50 goals last season and added 40 assists for 90 points in 64 games for the Kitchener Rangers. He added 20 goals and 33 points in the OHL playoffs.
“Jeff was one of the OHL’s top forwards last season and really stood out at the prospects tournament in Michigan,” said Hurricanes president and GM Jim Rutherford. “He’s an exciting, young player and an important part of the future for the Hurricanes.”
As Joe reported a week ago, Rutherford said that Skinner will get a real shot to make the team right out of the draft this season.
After missing the playoffs amid a really rough season last year, the Hurricanes also let one of their most productive forwards Ray Whitney go, so there’s definitely some space for new blood. Skinner certainly isn’t an automatic fit on the big club, but this should be a big training camp for the Canes prospect. This should be an interesting story to watch as October 7 approaches.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)