Sep 21, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed Jeff Skinner today, locking up the seventh pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft to a three-year contract.
He will be paid $810,000 per season at the NHL level or $67,500 per year at the minor league level, and also received a $270,000 signing bonus.
The 18-year-old Ontario native ranked second in the Ontario Hockey League with 50 goals last season and added 40 assists for 90 points in 64 games for the Kitchener Rangers. He added 20 goals and 33 points in the OHL playoffs.
“Jeff was one of the OHL’s top forwards last season and really stood out at the prospects tournament in Michigan,” said Hurricanes president and GM Jim Rutherford. “He’s an exciting, young player and an important part of the future for the Hurricanes.”
As Joe reported a week ago, Rutherford said that Skinner will get a real shot to make the team right out of the draft this season.
After missing the playoffs amid a really rough season last year, the Hurricanes also let one of their most productive forwards Ray Whitney go, so there’s definitely some space for new blood. Skinner certainly isn’t an automatic fit on the big club, but this should be a big training camp for the Canes prospect. This should be an interesting story to watch as October 7 approaches.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)