Sep 20, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
There were a lot of goal review debates last year, but only one in which a television producer became the lightning rod for controversy.
That happened when FSN Pittsburgh producer Lowell MacDonald, Jr. withheld a replay that would have revealed that the Philadelphia Flyers scored a goal on the Pittsburgh Penguins. The TV producer was suspended since January for the strange homer infraction, but Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that MacDonald will be back on Penguins telecasts this season.
MacDonald attended the Penguins’ practice at the Consol Energy Center today and confirmed that he will again serve as producer.
He was suspended in January, after failing to make officials at the NHL’s war room in Toronto aware that a video replay existed that showed the puck crossing the goalie line on a possible shorthanded score by Simon Gagne of Philadelphia.
The on-ice ruling that Gagne’s goal should not count was not overturned because of inconclusive evidence. Had the replay in question been shown before the final decision was made, the goal would have counted.
The Flyers won the game, 7-4.
When you consider the fact that Philadelphia needed a shootout win on the last day of the 09-10 regular season, it’s especially comforting to know that the Flyers at least won that game. Imagine if that move would have cost the Flyers a playoff spot? Something tells me he wouldn’t have been able to get his job back so easily.
MacDonald made a foolish move, but hopefully he learned from his mistake. It could be interesting if the Flyers and Penguins have some goals in dispute next season, though.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35