Sep 20, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
There were a lot of goal review debates last year, but only one in which a television producer became the lightning rod for controversy.
That happened when FSN Pittsburgh producer Lowell MacDonald, Jr. withheld a replay that would have revealed that the Philadelphia Flyers scored a goal on the Pittsburgh Penguins. The TV producer was suspended since January for the strange homer infraction, but Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that MacDonald will be back on Penguins telecasts this season.
MacDonald attended the Penguins’ practice at the Consol Energy Center today and confirmed that he will again serve as producer.
He was suspended in January, after failing to make officials at the NHL’s war room in Toronto aware that a video replay existed that showed the puck crossing the goalie line on a possible shorthanded score by Simon Gagne of Philadelphia.
The on-ice ruling that Gagne’s goal should not count was not overturned because of inconclusive evidence. Had the replay in question been shown before the final decision was made, the goal would have counted.
The Flyers won the game, 7-4.
When you consider the fact that Philadelphia needed a shootout win on the last day of the 09-10 regular season, it’s especially comforting to know that the Flyers at least won that game. Imagine if that move would have cost the Flyers a playoff spot? Something tells me he wouldn’t have been able to get his job back so easily.
MacDonald made a foolish move, but hopefully he learned from his mistake. It could be interesting if the Flyers and Penguins have some goals in dispute next season, though.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)