Sep 20, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
There were a lot of goal review debates last year, but only one in which a television producer became the lightning rod for controversy.
That happened when FSN Pittsburgh producer Lowell MacDonald, Jr. withheld a replay that would have revealed that the Philadelphia Flyers scored a goal on the Pittsburgh Penguins. The TV producer was suspended since January for the strange homer infraction, but Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that MacDonald will be back on Penguins telecasts this season.
MacDonald attended the Penguins’ practice at the Consol Energy Center today and confirmed that he will again serve as producer.
He was suspended in January, after failing to make officials at the NHL’s war room in Toronto aware that a video replay existed that showed the puck crossing the goalie line on a possible shorthanded score by Simon Gagne of Philadelphia.
The on-ice ruling that Gagne’s goal should not count was not overturned because of inconclusive evidence. Had the replay in question been shown before the final decision was made, the goal would have counted.
The Flyers won the game, 7-4.
When you consider the fact that Philadelphia needed a shootout win on the last day of the 09-10 regular season, it’s especially comforting to know that the Flyers at least won that game. Imagine if that move would have cost the Flyers a playoff spot? Something tells me he wouldn’t have been able to get his job back so easily.
MacDonald made a foolish move, but hopefully he learned from his mistake. It could be interesting if the Flyers and Penguins have some goals in dispute next season, though.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63